Men's Basketball Opens Horizon League Play at UIC Wednesday
The Youngstown State men's basketball team opens 2013 and Horizon League play when it visits UIC, Wednesday, Jan. 2.
• Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. and the game can be heard on 570 WKBN-AM and IHeartRadio.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins defeated NAIA member Marygrove, 93-52, on Dec. 29.
• Junior Kendrick Perry scored 17 points to become the 33rd player in YSU history to score 1,000 career points.
• Senior Blake Allen also had 17 points with five 3-pointers.
• Freshman Bobby Hain scored 13 points off the bench and senior Damian Eargle had 11 points.
• The Penguins stay in Chicago to face Loyola, Saturday, Jan. 5, at 4 p.m. at the Gentile Center.
The UIC Series
• This is the 30 meeting between Youngstown State and UIC in a series that dates back to 1993.
• UIC owns a 22-7 advantage in the all-time series having won the first 16 games.
• Since then, the Penguins have won seven of the last 13.
• Last season, the teams split the season series by winning on their own home floors.
• UIC defeated the Penguins, 72-68, on Feb. 2, 2012, at the UIC Pavilion.
• YSU defeated the Flames, 71-50, at the Beeghly Center on Jan. 7, 2012.
• Youngstown State has not defeated UIC in Chicago since a 68-60 win on Feb. 7, 2009.
• UIC enters the game with a 9-4 record but has lost its last three games, incluing a 74-55 defeat at Toledo on Dec. 29.
• The Flames, however, are 5-0 at home this season.
• Daniel Barnes leads the Flames with 12.7 points per game and is tied for the league lead with 2.8 3-pointers made per game.
• Gary Talton is averaging 12.2 points and 4.7 assists per game.
• Hayden Humes is also in double figures with 11.4 points per contest.
KP Becomes 33rd to 1,000
• With 17 points against Marygrove on Dec. 29, junior Kendrick Perry became the 33rd player to score 1,000 points in YSU history.
• The last player to accomplish the feat was Vytas Sulskis (2007-11).
• The last junior to reach 1,000 points was Quin Humphrey in 2005-06.
More Millennium Man
• Kendrick Perry is just the 16th YSU player to score at least 1,000 points before his senior year.
• He became the 14th player to reach the mark during his junior season.
• Perry is just the sixth Division I junior to score 1,000 points at YSU.
• He is also become just the 15th player since YSU joined Division I to score at least 1,000 career points.
Start of League Play on the Road, Again
• The 2012-13 season marks the fourth straight year Youngstown State has opened Horizon League play on the road.
• It is also the ninth time in 12 seasons the Penguins will begin league play as the away team.
Guins in League Openers
• Youngstown State is 1-10 in Horizon League openers since joining the league in 2001-02.
• The lone win came last season against Detroit in a 64-61 victory in Detroit.
• YSU is 1-7 in road league openers.
KP Named to Cousy Watch List
• Junior Kendrick Perry was named to the Watch List for the 2013 Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year Award.
• Perry is one of 80 nominees and leads the Penguins with 16.2 points and 4.7 assists per game.
• Perry ranks tied for sixth all-time with 304 career assists.
A Win Will
• Improve YSU to 9-5 overall on the year.
• Improve YSU to 1-0 in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's fifth road win of the season.
• Mark YSU's eighth win over UIC.
• Mark Head Coach Jerry Slocum's 664th career victory and his 83rd at Youngstown State.
• Mark YSU's 1,017th victory in the program's history.
Allen Moves into Second
• With five 3-pointers against Marygrove senior Blake Allen ranks second on the YSU all-time 3-pointers list.
• Allen has made 176 career 3's and needs 23 more to break the record of 198.
• He is also just the second YSU player to make at least 175 career 3-pointers in his career.
Guins Get Fourth Non-League Road Win
• The 67-51 win over Bethune-Cookman on Dec. 21 marked the fourth true non-league road win for Youngstown State this season.
• It marked the first time since 1984-85 Youngstown State won four times on the road in non-conference action.
• For the second straight game, YSU posted at least 50 rebounds with 51 against Marygrove.
• All 12 players that appeared had at least one carom.
• Freshman Bobby Hain led the team with eight rebounds.
• The Penguins also recorded 50 rebounds in the 67-51 win over Bethune-Cookman on Dec. 21.
• Six players players combined for all 50 rebounds.
• The last time the Penguins grabbed 50 rebounds in a game was against UC-Riverside on Nov. 18, 2011.
KP Second With 1,000, 300, 130
• Junior Kendrick Perry became just the second player in school history to post 1,000 points, 300 assists and 130 steals in a career.
• The only other YSU player to accomplish that feat was Bruce Timko from 1982-86.
• Perry has 1,000 career points, 304 assists and 133 steals.
• With 17 more steals, Perry will become the only player in school history with 1,000 points, 300 assists and 150 steals.
Eargle's Block Party
• Senior Damian Eargle already owns the YSU and Horizon League career blocks records with 252.
• Eargle has recorded a block in 15 straight games dating back to last season.
• He has also blocked at least one shot in 43 of the last 44 games.
• In his 74-game career at YSU, Eargle has tallied a block in 69 contests.
Hain Heating Up
• Freshman Bobby Hain has been heating up over the last three games.
• He scored 13 points against Marygrove on Dec. 29, 14 points with seven rebounds against the Bethune-Cookman on Dec. 21 and had 11 points with seven boards against USF on Dec. 18.
• During that span, Hain is averaging 12.7 points and 7.3 rebounds per game.
• He also shot 53.6 percent (15-for-28) from the floor over those games.
Allen Leads Horizon League
• Senior Blake Allen is tied for the Horizon League lead with 2.8 3-pointers made per game.
• Allen is also tied with a league-best 38 3-pointers made.
• Allen also leads the league with a 3.5 assist-to-turnover ratio.
• He has 42 assists and just 12 turnovers in 13 games.
• The Tampa, Fla., native is averaging 3.2 assists and 0.9 turnovers per game.
• Youngstown State has three players ranked in the top 10 in the Horizon League when it comes to field-goal percentage.
• Sophomore Shawn Amiker leads the team and ranks second in the circuit with a .531 field-goal percentage.
• Freshman Bobby Hain is third in the league at .526.
• Senior Damian Eargle ranks ninth with a .480 field-goal percentage.
Eargle Reaches 1,000 Points
• With 17 points against James Madison on Nov. 20, senior Damian Eargle scored the 1,000th point in his collegiate career.
• Eargle has scored 843 points at Youngstown State and had 268 in 2008-09 at UNC-Greensboro for a total of 1,111.
• He needs 157 more to become a 1,000-point scorer at YSU.
Two More Searching for 1,000
• With junior Kendrick Perry becoming the 33rd YSU player to score 1,000 points, seniors Blake Allen and Damian Eargle are trying to become the 34th and 35th players to match that feat.
• Eargle needs 157 more points while and Allen is 233 away.
• Eargle has scored 1,111 points in his college career, but 268 were at UNC-Greensboro.
• The last time two YSU players scored 1,000 career points in the same season was in 2000-01 when Desmond Harrison and Craig Haese reached the plateau.
Perry Among League Leaders
• Junior Kendrick Perry is having an all-league caliber season.
• Perry ranks fourth in the Horizon League in scoring with 16.2 points per game.
• He also tied for third with 4.7 assists per game and ranks fifth with a .845 free-throw percentage.
• Perry is fourth in the Horizon League with 2.3 assist-to-turnover ratio.
• He also ranks sixth with 1.5 steals per game.
Eargle Defensive Production
• Senior Damian Eargle is playing like a defensive player-of-the-year candidate.
• Eargle ranks sixth nationally and leads the Horizon League with 3.5 blocks per game.
• The Youngstown, Ohio, native is second in the league with 7.4 rebounds per game.
• Eargle is seventh in the league with 1.4 steals per game.
• He is also second in the league with 5.8 defensive rebounds per game.
• Against Bowling Green on Dec. 1, Eargle grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds, including 14 defensive boards.
Takin' Care of Business
• The YSU trio of guards of Blake Allen, DJ Cole and Kendrick Perry take care of the ball well.
• Combined, the three have dished out 139 assists compared to just 62 turnovers.
• That works out to an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.2.
• Allen leads the league at 3.5, Perry is fourth at 2.3 and Cole is eighth at 1.6.
KP Scores Career High
• Junior Kendrick Perry scored a career-high 34 points against North Dakota State on Nov. 19.
• His 34 points were the most since Quin Humphrey scored 35 on Feb. 22, 2007, against Wright State.
• Perry scored 12 straight YSU points, including the Guins' final 10 of regulation.
• He hit a 3-pointer with 3.4 seconds left in the second half to force overtime.
• For the game, Perry made a career-best 13 field goals, grabbed a season-high eight rebounds and made four 3-pointers.
Belin Nets Back-to-Back Double-Doubles
• With 10 points and a career-high 12 rebounds against JMU, junior Kamren Belin posted his second straight double-double.
• Belin recorded the first double-double of his career against North Dakota State on Nov. 19.
• Belin scored 15 points and grabbed 11 rebounds against the Bison.
Belin Hits For Career High
• Junior forward Kamren Belin scored a career-high 17 points against his home-state school.
• Belin connected on 5-of-9 from the field, including three 3-pointers against Georgia on Nov. 12.
• He also grabbed six rebounds and made 4-of-5 free-throw attempts.
KP Named Player of the Week
• For the second time in his career, junior Kendrick Perry was named the Horizon League Player of the Week on Nov. 19.
• Perry averaged 21 points, four assists and three steals per game and shot 50 percent from the floor in two wins.
Eargle Second To Get to 200 Blocks, Gets 300
• Senior Damian Eargle became just the second player in school history to accumulate at least 200 career blocked shots.
• Eargle has 252 blocked shots, which is the YSU career record.
• The only other player with 200 blocks is Ricky Tunstall, who recorded 221 career blocks.
• Counting his 57 blocks at UNC-Greensboro, Eargle has reached 309 blocked shots for his entire college career.
Penguins Ink Marcus Keene Early
• The Penguins inked Marcus Keene to a National Letter-of-Intent during the early signing period.
• Keene, a 5-foot-9 point guard from San Antonio, Texas, was named all-state after averaging 14.7 points, 5.1 assists, 2.9 rebounds and 1.3 steals per game.
• Over his junior and sophomore seasons, Keene scored 781 points.
Penguins Picked Fourth
• Youngstown State was picked to finish fourth in the Horizon League in a poll of the League's Head Coaches, SIDs and select media.
• It is the highest preseason ranking for the Penguins since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02.
• YSU was never picked higher than seventh.
Perry Preseason First-Team
• Junior Kendrick Perry was named to the Horizon League Preseason First-Team.
• He is the first player since Quin Humphrey in 2006-07 to receive preseason league accolades.
• Perry led the league in scoring last year with 16.8 points per game.
Eargle Preseason Second-Team
• Senior Damian Eargle was selected to the Horizon League Preseason Second-Team.
• Eargle led the league in blocks (3.7), ranked third in rebounding (7.5) and 15th in scoring.
KP NABC All-District 2nd-Team
• Junior Kendrick Perry was named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches All-District 12 Second-Team last season.
KP First-Team All-League
Junior Kendrick Perry was named to the All-Horizon League First-Team last season. Below are some tidbits on Perry:
• Led HL in scoring in all games (16.8) and league games only (16.8 ppg).
• Led league in steals in conference games (2.4).
• Just the fifth player to lead the Horizon League in scoring and steals in the same season.
• Tied for league lead with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.9.
• Ranked second in steals (2.4) in all games.
• Ranked fourth in assists per game (3.9).
• Was the first sophomore in school history to earn first-team all-conference honors.
• First YSU player since Quin Humphrey (2006-07 and 2005-06) to be named first-team all-league.
Eargle Named All-Defensive Team
Senior forward Damian Eargle was voted to the Horizon League All-Defensive Team. Below are some notes on Eargle's 2011-12 season:
• Set the Horizon League single-season blocks record for all games with 116 and league-games only with 65.
• Owns the Horizon League career record for blocks in conference play at 122.
• Ranked third nationally with 3.7 blocks per game.