The Youngstown State men's basketball team (1-2) plays its second true road game of the season when it faces South Alabama on day two of the Red Diamond Roundball Classic, Saturday, at the Mitchell Center. Tipoff is slated for 3:05 p.m. ET.
Today's game will be broadcast live on WNIO 1390-AM.
The Penguins close out the Red Diamond Roundball Classic in Mobile, Ala., against Florida International, Sunday, at 1:30 p.m. YSU also hosts Westminster as part of the exempt tournament, Tuesday, Nov. 22. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
Last Time Out
The Penguins dropped a 79-54 decision to Jacksonville in the opening game of the exempt tournament on Friday evening. Junior Cameron Morse was the only YSU player to reach double figures with 18 points.
About South Alabama
The Jaguars enter the game with a 3-0 record and are coming off a 69-64 overtime win over Florida International. Josh Ajayi led all scorers with 27 points and posted a double-double with 10 rebounds against the Panthers. Georgi Boyanov also had 12 points. The Jaguars have also defeated UNLV, 76-68, and Blue Mountain, 88-35.
The South Alabama Series
This is the fourth meeting between Youngstown State and South Alabama in a series that dates back to 1984. The Jaguars own a 2-1 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two meetings, both in Mobile, Ala. The Penguins and Jaguars have not met since 1986.
Series vs. South Alabama (1-2)
Date............... Location....... Result
Dec. 15, 1986.. Mobile...... L, 63-72
Dec. 17, 1985.. Mobile...... L, 63-69
Dec. 15, 1984 Youngstown W, 74-73
40 is Rare Feat
• Junior Cameron Morse's 40 points against Toledo was just the 19th time in school history a player has scored at least 40 points in a game.
• Morse is also just the sixth player in school history and the second player since 1981-82 to have multiple 40-point games.
• The most recent player to record multiple 40-point games was Reggie Kemp in 1990 and 1993.
Multiple 40-Point Games
4 John McElroy
4 Tony Knott
3 Jeff Covington
2 Reggie Kemp
2 Leo Mogus
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its second win over South Alabama.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 712th career win and his 131st at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's first win over South Alabama.
• Mark the 1,065th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins a 2-2 overall record.
• Mark YSU's first road win of the season.
• Mark YSU's first win over South Alabama since 1984.
Morse 1,000-Point Countdown
• Junior Cameron Morse has scored 795 points in just two seasons and needs 205 more to become the 37th player in school history to reach 1,000 career points.
• Morse's 608 points last season are the ninth most in school history and the third-most since YSU joined Division I in 1981-82.
Donlan Tied Career High
• Senior Matt Donlan tied a career high with six 3-pointers and totaled 20 points in the Penguins' 90-82 win over Akron.
• Donlan has made at least one 3-pointer in 33 of the 35 games in his Youngstown State career.
• Donlan has also made 90 3-pointers in his Youngstown State career.
Davis Has Career Night
• Sophomore Latin Davis turned in a career-best performance against Toledo on Nov. 15.
• Davis scored a career-high 19 points on a career-best seven made field goals.
• He also hit a 3-pointer with 11 seconds lefts in regulation to help force overtime.