Doubles Win Huge in Victory Over Cleveland State
Cleveland, Ohio -- The Youngstown State men's tennis team earned a hard-fought doubles point then split the singles matches to improve to 2-0 in Horizon League action with a 4-3 win over Cleveland State on Saturday.
After taking a 1-0 lead by winning at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles, Cleveland State took a 3-1 edge by winning singles matches at No. 1, No. 5 and No. 6. YSU rallied with victories at No. 3, No. 4 and finally No. 2 to earn the win in the match.
The deciding point in the match was when Silviu Mistreanu knocked off Matt Kuelker 7-6, 7-6 at No. 2 singles. Max Schmerin tied the match with a 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 victory over Jorg Van Der Vloet at No. 4 singles. At No. 3, Dawoud Kabli battled back after dropping the first set 6-3 to the Vikings' Jorg Van Der Vloet to win 7-5, 7-6.
CSU won the first three singles matches that were decided. At No. 1, Tariq Ismail dropped a 6-0, 6-2 decision to Yannick Goosens. At No. 5, Rodrigo Campos dropped a 6-4, 6-3 decision to Nolan Marks while at No. 6, Felipe Rosa suffered a 6-1, 6-3 setback to Matt Ford.
In doubles play, YSU won at No. 1 and No. 3 to claim the point. Tariq Ismail and Kabli earned an 8-6 win over Marks and Shabib while at No. 3, Mistreanu and Zeeshan Ismail outlasted Kuelker and Van Det Vloet 9-8 to earn the all-important point.
The Penguins will have a tall task on Sunday as they visit second-ranked Ohio State. First serve is set for 5 p.m.
Youngstown State 4, Cleveland State 3
1. Yannick Goosens (CSU) def. T. Ismail (YSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Mistreanu (YSU) def. Matt Kuelker (CSU) 7-6, 7-6
3. Kabli (YSU) def. Ali Shabib (CSU) 3-6, 7-5, 7-6
4. Schmerin (YSU) def. Jorg Van Der Vloet (CSU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
5. Nolan Marks (CSU) def. Campos (YSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Matt Ford (CSU) def. Rosa (YSU) 6-1, 6-3
1. T. Ismail/Kabli (YSU) def. Marks/Shabib (CSU) 8-6
2. Goosens/Ford (CSU) def. Schmerin/Campos (YSU) 8-2
3. Mistreanu/Z. Ismail (YSU) def. Kuelker/Van Der Vloet (CSU) 9-8