Penguins Open Busy Stretch With 7-0 Win At St. Bonaventure
Olean, N.Y. - The Youngstown State men's tennis team picked up a solid 7-0 win over St. Bonaventure on Sunday afternoon at the SBU Indoor Tennis Facility. The Penguins picked up their second straight win by defeating the Bonnies.
The victory improves the Guins to 5-11 overall while SBU drops to 5-14. YSU has a busy week ahead with matches on Wednesday, Thursday and next Sunday.
In doubles play, YSU won two of the three matches to take the point. YSU won at No. 2 as Max Schmerin and Rodrigo Campos won 8-4 over Javier Ortiz and Eduardo Irizarry. At No. 3, the Guins were victorious with Zeeshan Ismail and Sharvil Nawghare winnning 8-5 over Timothy DeSanto and Trevor Haskell.
In singles play, the Guins won all six matches, including three in straight sets. At No. 1, Sebastian Hagn won 6-3, 6-4 over Elliot Fanshel, at No. 3, Dawoud Kabli earned a 7-5, 7-5 decision over Ramazan Nureev while at No. 5, Ismail bettered Celso de Vera Rehberger, 6-2, 6-3.
The Penguins won in three sets at No. 2 and No. 4 singles. At No. 2, Silviu Mistreanu came back after dropping the first set 7-5 to beat Irizarry 7-5 and 6-1. At No. 4, Schmerin won the first set 6-2 before losing set two 6-4 to Ortiz. Schmerin won the third and deciding set, 6-1.
At No. 6 singles, Campos picked up an 8-5 win over Haskell.
It was the Guins' second 7-0 victory over the season.
YSU is next in action on Wednesday when it visits Louisville.
YSU 7, St. Bonaventure 0
1. Ramazan Nureev/Elliot Fanshel (SBU) def. Dawoud Kabli/Sebastian Hagn, 8-6
2. Max Schmerin/Rodrigo Campos (YSU) def. Javier Ortiz/Eduardo Irizarry, 8-4
3. Zeeshan Ismail/Sharvil Nawghare (YSU) def. Timothy DeSanto/Trevor Haskell, 8-5
1. Sebastian Hagn (YSU) def. Elliot Fanshel, 6-3, 6-4
2. Silviu Mistreanu (YSU) def. Eduardo Irizarry, 5-7, 7-5, 6-1
3. Dawoud Kabli (YSU) def. Ramazan Nureev, 7-5, 7-5
4. Max Schmerin (YSU) def. Javier Ortiz, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
5. Zeeshan Ismail (YSU) def. Celso de Vera Rehberger, 6-2, 6-2
6. Rodrigo Campos (YSU) def. Trevor Haskell, 8-5