Guin Win Three Singles Matches in Finale at UIC
Chicago, Ill. - The Youngstown State men's tennis team won three singles matches in a 4-3 loss at UIC in the regular season finale on Saturday afternoon at the UIC Tennis Courts. Winning matches were Sebastian Hagn, Dawoud Kabli and Rodrigo Campos.
The Penguins (5-16 overall and 1-4 in the Horizon League) battled the Flames (5-10 and 2-4) throughout the match.
At No. 1, Hagn defeated Alexander Raa in three sets at 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. At No. 3, Kabli bounced back after dropping the first set 6-0 to earn 6-3 and 6-2 set wins against Isaac Lloveras. At No. 6, Campos beat Eric Pantow in come-from-behind fashion 5-7, 6-4, 6-2. The deciding match in the dual was at No. 5 when Zeeshan Ismail dropped a tough 6-1, 5-7, 6-4 match to Christopher Cole.
UIC took the doubles point and won in straight sets at No. 2 and No. 4.
YSU is the No. 6 seed in the Horizon League Championships and will face third-seed Wright State in the quarterfinal on Friday at the Michigan Varsity Tennis Courts in Ann Arbor, Mich.
UIC 4, Youngstown State 3
1. Sebastian Hagn (YSU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
2. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Silviu Mistreanu (YSU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Dawoud Kabli (YSU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Max Schmerin (YSU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Zeeshan Ismail (YSU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
6. Rodrigo Campos (YSU) def. Eric Pontow (UIC) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
1. Maurizio Feoli/Carl Hedstrom (UIC) def. Sebastian Hagn/Dawoud Kabli (YSU) 8-6
2. Alexander Raa/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Max Schmerin/Rodrigo Campos (YSU) 8-2
3. Christopher Cole/Alan Reifer (UIC) vs. Zeeshan Ismail/Silviu Mistreanu (YSU) unfinished