Head Women's Golf Coach Nate Miklos traveled overseas to Thailand last month for the U.S. College Camp's fifth sports education program.
The camp was attended by 500 youth and parents on Nov. 10-12. With the help of 27 collegiate and professional coaches, the attendees had the opportunity to learn about initial eligibility, NCAA rules, recruiting timelines, and how to choose the right U.S. college. Coaches explained how athletes can use their athletic talents to earn scholarships to study in the United States. Since the camp's inception in 2013, many Thai athletes have received scholarship offers from relationships they have developed at the camp.
Coach Miklos recently announced the signing of two Thai golfers as part of his 2018 recruiting class. Pang Khuanrudee and Rattika Sittigool of Thailand will join the YSU women's golf program in the fall of 2018.
Five major sports including golf, tennis, soccer, swimming and badminton were featured as part of this year's camp. After a seminar day at the Royal Bangkok Sports Club, sports were sent to different facilities in other regions of Thailand. The golf portion of the camp was held at Royal Hills Golf Club in Nakhon Nayok.
Golf coaches present at the U.S. College Camp:
- Stephen Bidne – University of Hawaii
- Sarah Butler – Iowa State University
- Marc Chandonnet – Seattle University
- Richard Church – Southern Utah University
- Laura Cilek – University of Oregon
- Mike Dunphy – Cleveland Golf
- Jake Harrington – Little Rock University
- Carly Ludwig – San Diego State University
- Nate Miklos – Youngstown State University
- Katie Miles – Alliance of Women Coaches
- Sadie Palmer – Southern Utah University
- Patty Post – University of Delaware
- Jill Trujillo – University of New Mexico
- Cory Scoggins – PGA Professional
- Kathleen Takaishi – University of Nevada
- Natasha Vincent – University of Central Arkansas
- Amy Weeks – Columbia University
The YSU women's golf team will begin the spring portion of their 2017-18 season with the Oyster Shuck Match Play event at Patriots Point Links in Charleston, S.C. on Feb. 26.
For news and updates throughout the 2017-18 season, follow the YSU women's golf program on Twitter @YSUWomensGolf