The Youngstown State spirit squads will hold tryouts for the 2019-20 athletic campaign on Sunday, April 14 at the Beeghly Center. All participants enrolled as a full-time YSU student for the 2019 fall semester are eligible to try out.
Tryouts will be held in the gymnastics room located directly below the basketball court - in the basement of Beeghly Center. This tryout is for males and females who are current full-time YSU students or high-school seniors who are planning to enroll at YSU in the fall. All current YSU students who attend the tryout must be in good academic standing.
Sunday’s registration starts at 8 a.m. and anyone participating must provide a list of cheerleading experience and a filled out Cheerleading Application form below. We will be teaching material from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and then break for lunch. Following lunch break we will review and begin the formal tryout. Once the formal tryout is over we will announce the team. The ending time of this tryout is all depending on the amount of people that attend and how quickly we move.
Those attending the tryout should wear shorts, t-shirts or tank top and cheer/ tennis shoes. (Prefer YSU school colors). The mandatory requirements for females are listed below.
Members of the team cheer at all home Football games, home Men's & Women's Basketball games and will travel based on community service hours and seat availability to a select few games.
- Toe touch, Double Toe touch, Herkie and Pike jump
- Sideline cheers taught that day
- The YSU Fight Song taught at tryouts
- Partner and quad stunting - no experience needed/taught at tryouts
- Tumbling - You must be able to tumble in order to tryout (Females Only)
- Unspotted round-off backhandspring
- Unspotted standing backhandspring
There will be a mat at tryouts but expected to perform on gym floor as well.
Other items to be aware of before entering tryout week:
- Cheerleading is a full-year commitment from Tryouts until the following year's tryout.
- Current YSU candidates must be considered full time (12 hours) and in good academic standing
- High school seniors must be a full-time student (12 hours) in Fall 2019
- Practice schedule for summer and school year is twice a week
- You are only excused from two summer practices. (EXCUSED meaning: illness, vacations, birthdays or personal time). After two missed practice, you can be removed from the team.
For more information contact Coaches
Michelle Markota: Mlmarkota@ysu.edu
Jenna Schneider: firstname.lastname@example.org