The Youngstown State baseball team will play five games in a six-day span this week as it closes out the calendar month of April. The Penguins will host Ohio on Tuesday at 6 p.m. and St. Bonaventure on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Eastwood Field to close out a five-game homestand.
YSU will then begin a three-game set at Oakland on Friday at 3 p.m. and it continues the second half of Horizon League play. After the series opener on Friday, the Penguins and Golden Grizzlies will play at 1 p.m. on Saturday and at noon on Sunday.
Live audio will be broadcast on YSNLive.com of the home contests against Ohio and St. Bonaventure, and the games at Oakland on Friday and Sunday will be on ESPN+. Live stats for all five games this week will be available through links on YSUsports.com, and fans can follow @YSUBaseball on Twitter for live updates.
- Tuesday – Jon Snyder
- Wednesday – Gary Clift Jr.
- Friday – Colin Clark
- Saturday – Travis Perry or Marco DeFalco
- Sunday – Travis Perry or Marco DeFalco
Promotions and Fan Information
- Visitors Guide
- Eastwood Field
- Tuesday's game against Ohio is a YSU Employee Appreciation Game. YSU faculty and staff may receive up to four complimentary tickets with a valid YSU ID.
- Wednesday's contest versus St. Bonaventure is the second "T-shirts for Strikeouts" game of the season. T-shirts will be thrown into the stands when a YSU pitcher strikes out a Bonnies batter during the contest.
- Ohio is 13-24 this week after sweeping Eastern Michigan in a three-game series over the weekend. The Bobcats have won five of their last six Mid-American Conference games, but they are 1-5 in midweek contests this season.
- YSU will be the second Horizon League opponent on Ohio's schedule this season. The Bobcats lost 13-0 and 12-1 at Wright State on March 9-10.
- Rudy Rott leads the MAC with eight home runs, and he's also among the league leaders in RBIs, slugging percentage and doubles. The Bobcats are batting .421 as a team and have 21 home runs in their 37 games.
Scouting St. Bonaventure
- St. Bonaventure enters this week with an 8-21 overall record and a 4-11 mark on the road. The Bonnies enter the week on a four-game skid, and they are 3-9 this month. St. Bonaventure will host Niagara on Tuesday before coming to Eastwood Field on Wednesday.
- The Penguins and Bonnies have two common opponents on their schedules in Miami (Ohio) and Penn State. St. Bonaventure was swept in a three-game series by the Redhawks March 15-17, and the Bonnies beat Penn State 18-6 on April 3.
- St. Bonaventure has four batters hitting at least .280, and Tyler Kelder leads the squad with 12 doubles, five home runs and 23 RBIs.
- Oakland enters this week with a 10-26 overall record and an 8-10 ledger in Horizon League play. The Golden Grizzlies lost their first 18 games of the season, but they are 10-8 since. Dating back to their series win at YSU on March 23-24, the Golden Grizzlies have won four of their last five conference series.
- Oakland ranks fourth in the Horizon League in both batting average (.238) and ERA (7.73). Matt Dileo leads the Golden Grizzlies with a .310 batting average, and Drew Demumbrum has team highs of five home runs, 28 RBIs and seven doubles. Dumumbrum had two home runs and nine RBIs in the series at Eastwood Field, and he and Dileo combined to go 11-for-26 at the plate.
- Overall: Ohio leads 24-13
- Bertolini: 1-1 // Home: 4-6 // Away: 9-17 // Neutral: 0-1
- Current Win Streak: 1 by Youngstown State
- Last Meeting: YSU won 10-9 at Ohio on May 9, 2018
- Overall: Youngstown State leads 7-4
- Bertolini: 0-0 // Home: 5-1 // Away: 2-3
- Current Win Streak: 1 by St. Bonaventure
- Last Meeting: St. Bonaventure won 6-1 at Youngstown State on April 20, 1999
Recapping Last Week
- Youngstown State went 1-3 in four contests last week, dropping its first three decisions before ending the week with an 8-2 win over Northern Kentucky.
- The Penguins lost 16-6 at Pitt last Tuesday in a non-conference contest, and they dropped both games of a doubleheader against Northern Kentucky on Thursday by a combined three runs. YSU lost the opener 10-8 and game two 7-6, and it had the tying run at the plate in the ninth inning in both contest. YSU won the finale 8-2 behind 7.2 shutout innings from freshman starting pitcher Travis Perry, who went on to be named the Horizon League Pitcher of the Week.
- Trevor Wiersma had hits in all four contests last week and was 8-for-16 with a home run, four RBIs and six runs. Phillip Glasser led the squad with six RBIs, and he, Jeff Wehler and Lucas Nasonti each had six hits during the week.
- In addition to Perry's effort on the mound, senior reliever Kip DeShields did not allow an earned run over two innings in his two appearances.
Youngstown State will begin May with four straight home games, and the Penguins are scheduled to play eight of their 11 contests in the month at Eastwood Field. The homestand begins on Wednesday, May 1, against Eastern Michigan with a 1 p.m. first pitch. The Penguins will then host Wright State in a three-game series on May 3-5.