The public is invited to join Youngstown State University students, cheerleaders, alumni and the pep band to cheer on the Penguin football team at a Championship Send-Off Rally 11 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, Jan. 4 on the YSU campus.
The rally is just one of many events planned during Penguin Championship Week as YSU seeks its fifth national title. Kickoff for the Football Championship Series title game on Saturday, Jan. 7, vs. James Madison, at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas.
"This has been an amazing run to the title game for Coach Bo Pelini and our Penguins," YSU President Jim Tressel said. "Let's show them our support and our Penguin Pride by turning out strong to cheer them on."
The send-off rally, sponsored by the YSU Woo Crew and the Division of University Relations, will be on Armed Forces Boulevard adjacent to Fifth Avenue and just south of Stambaugh Stadium on the YSU campus. At the rally, Penguins players will board buses and depart for the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport for the trip to Texas.
Other events planned to celebrate the Penguins' national championship drive:
- The YSU Office of Alumni Engagement and the YSU Alumni Society Board have declared Jan. 2 to Jan. 7 as Wear Red Week, urging alumni and fans everywhere to wear red and their YSU gear leading up to the championship game. Mahoning Valley businesses and vendors are also asked to show their Penguin Pride by displaying red and Pete the Penguin.
- On Jan. 7, the Covelli Centre in downtown Youngstown hosts a free watch party. Presented by Covelli Enterprises and the City of Youngstown, the event features big screens, a DJ, cornhole/tailgate games, free parking and more. Doors open at 10 a.m. Eastern, with kickoff at noon Eastern. Free tickets are available for advanced pick up at the Covelli Centre box office or at the doors the day of the event. Coolers, outside food and beverage, tailgating and chairs are prohibited. Covelli Centre bars and concession stands will be open.
- Eight regional Alumni Watch Parties are also planned for: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Las Vegas, New York, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Fla., and Washington D.C. For details, visit www.ysu.edu/alumni.
- Penguin fans headed to Texas to attend the game are invited to the official YSU Tailgate Party at Tailgate Town in Toyota Stadium, Northeast Terrace, Section 133. The party starts at 9 a.m. Central. A game ticket is required for attendance.
- On Friday, Jan. 6, the evening before the title game, YSU alumni, friends and family will gather at Urban Rio Cantina & Grill 1000 East 14th St., Plano, Texas, 75074. Festivities begin at 6 p.m. Central. RSVP to either or both of the events at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-941-2136.