DuShawn Brooks Block at the Buzzer Seals 60-59 Win at Saint Francis (Pa.)

DuShawn Brooks Block at the Buzzer Seals 60-59 Win at Saint Francis (Pa.)

Loretto, Pa. – Senior DuShawn Brooks hit the game-deciding 3-pointer and blocked two Red Flash shots, including an attempt at the buzzer, as the Youngstown State men's basketball team squeaked past Saint Francis (Pa.), 60-59, on Saturday afternoon at the DeGol Center.

The Guins improve to 4-1 for the second straight season while the Red Flash fall to 0-5 overall.

Sophomore Kendrick Perry was the lone Penguin scoring in double figures with 12 points while Brooks, junior Blake Allen, senior Ashen Ward and freshman Cale Zuiker each had nine points.

Brooks nailed his first 3-pointer of the season with 2:15 left in the game to give the Guins a four-point edge, 60-56. However, Saint Francis' Stephon Whyatt answered with a 3-pointer of his own to cut the deficit to one, 60-59, with 1:59 to go.

After the Guins missed the front-end of a 1-and-1, the Guins' defense stymied the Red Flash three times, including Brooks two blocks on the final two Red Flash possessions.

Tied 33-33 at the half, the Guins used a 12-2 run to start the second half to take a 45-35 lead with 17:13 left in the game. Ward scored five of his nine points during the run and Damian Eargle's layup put the Guins up by 10.

The Red Flash rallied to cut the Penguins lead down to one, 53-52, on a Scott Eatherton layup with 4:22 to go.

Allen hit a jumper at the 3:16 mark to give the Guins a 57-54 edge and SFU's John Taylor hit a jumper to slice the lead back down to one, 57-56, before Brooks' game-deciding 3-pointer.

The Guins trailed by as many as 11 points, 17-6, in the first half, but quickly found their rhythm offensively.

Allen hit a 3-pointer and jumpers by Kendrick Perry, Shawn Amiker and another by Perry brought the within three, 19-16, at the 10:10 mark.

The Guins tied the game at 25-25 on a 3-pointer by Zuiker with 4:42 to go and two more 3-pointers by Zuiker gave the Guins a 33-30 lead before SFU's Scott Eatherton made a free throw to knot the game at 33-33 at the half.

The Guins shot 45.8 percent in the first half, including 40 percent from 3-point range.

The Guins open Horizon League play against Detroit, Thursday, Dec. 1, at 7 p.m. at Calihan Hall.