Posted: Jan 21, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Cleveland State
|Date & Time||Sunday, Jan. 24 | 1 p.m.
Quicken Loans Arena | Cleveland, Ohio
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team is back on the road for the first of three straight games away from Beeghly Center when it takes on Cleveland State, Sunday, Jan. 24, at Quicken Loans Arena.
• Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• This is the Penguins' first game played at Quicken Loans Arena.
• The Penguins go back on the road when they visit UIC, Thursday, Jan. 28.
• Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Ill.
• The Penguins are coming off a 96-65 loss to Valparaiso on Jan. 18.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse led the Penguins with a game-high 23 points on 10-of-16 shooting.
• Morse recorded his 16th double-figure scoring performance and scored at least 18 points for the eighth straight game.
• Freshman Jordan Andrews scored 12 points and freshman Bryce Nickels added career-high 11 points.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 706 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 706 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 706 wins.
About Cleveland State
• Cleveland State enters the game with an overall record of 7-13 and a 2-5 Horizon League mark.
• The Vikings are coming off two straight wins against Northern Kentucky (70-65) on Jan. 16 and UIC (70-53) on Jan. 18.
• Leading Cleveland State is Rob Edwards with 12.4 points per game.
• Andre Yates is also in double figures with 10.7 points per game.
The Cleveland State Series
• This is the 84th meeting between Youngstown State and Cleveland State in a series that started in 1930.
• The Vikings own a 44-39 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last three contests.
• CSU won the last meeting, 73-60, at the Wolstein Center in 2015.
• The last time YSU defeated the Crusaders was in 2014, 67-66, at the Beeghly Center.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 40th win over Cleveland State.
• Mark YSU's first win over the Vikings since 2014
• Snap a three-game losing streak to CSU.
• Mark YSU's first win at Quicken Loans Arena.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 707th career win and his 126th at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's seventh win over CSU.
• Mark the 1,060th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 8-13 overall record and a 3-5 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's second neutral site win of the season.
Nickels Posts Career-Scoring High
• Freshman forward Bryce Nickels posted career-scoring high of 11 points with five rebounds against Valparaiso on Jan. 18.
• It marked Nickels' second double-digit scoring performance of his career.
• He scored 10 points against Geneva on Dec. 15.
• Sophomore Cameron is becoming one of the top scoring threats in the Horizon League.
• Morse has scored at least 20 points eight times this season with five of those in league play.
• He leads the league with 25.6 points per game in league play and is second overall with 18.9 points per game.
Man at Work
• Junior Matt Donlan not only leads the Horizon League in 3-point field-goal percentage at .479, he is one of the nation's top 3-point threats.
• Donlan, who ranks third in the Horizon League with 2.8 3-pointers made per game, ranks eighth in the nation with a .479 3-point percentage.
• He also ranks 23rd in the nation with 56 made 3-pointers.
• He is 12th in the league in scoring with 13.9 points per game in Horizon League contests
Morse's 44 Among Nation's Best
• Sophomore Cameron Morse's career-high 44 points are tied for the fourth-highest single-game scoring high this season.
• The only players in the nation that have scored more points in a game are Oklahoma's Buddy Hield and Iona's A.J. English, who both scored 46 points. English also scored 45.
• Hield scored 46 against Kansas on Jan. 4 while English posted 46 against Fairfield on Dec. 1, and 45 against Monmouth on Jan. 16.
• Santa Clara's Jared Brownridge scored 44 points against Arizona on Nov. 26.