Feb 10, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Cleveland State
|Date & Time||Saturday, Feb. 13 | 7:05 p.m.
Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team continues its four-game homestand when it welcomes in-state Horizon League foe Cleveland State, Saturday, Feb. 13.
• Tipoff is set for 7:05 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins conclude their four-game homestand against UIC, Tuesday, Feb. 16.
• Tipoff is slated for 7:05 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
• The Penguins are coming off a tough 94-92 home loss to Detroit on Feb. 6.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse led the Penguins with a game-high 30 points and six rebounds.
• It marked Morse's 12th 20-point outing and his ninth against the Horizon League.
• Junior Matt Donlan made four 3-pointers en route to 14 points.
• Junior Brett Frantz scored a career-high 13 points with three 3-pointers.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse is averaging 13.9 points more per game than last season.
• That scoring improvement ranks as the second-highest in Youngstown State's Division I era (since 1981-82).
• The highest increase in YSU's Division I history was 14.3 points per game by Tilman Bevely from 1985-86 to 1986-87.
• Bevely averaged 9.3 points per game in 1985-86 and 23.6 points per game in 1986-87.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 708 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 708 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 708 wins.
About Cleveland State
• Cleveland State enters the game with an overall record of 7-18 and a 2-10 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Vikings, who have lost five straight, are led by Rob Edwards with 12 points per game.
• Demonte Flannigan is also averaging in double figures with 11 points per game.
The Cleveland State Series
• This is the 85th meeting between Youngstown State and Cleveland State in a series that dates back to 1930.
• The Vikings own a 44-40 advantage in the all-time series, but the Penguins won the last game, 70-55, at Quicken Loans Arena on Jan. 24.
Last Time vs. Cleveland State
• The Penguins posted one of their top defensive efforts of the season en route to a 70-55 win over the Vikings at Quicken Loans Arena on Jan. 24.
• Junior Matt Donlan led the Penguins with 16 points and four 3-pointers.
• Sophomore Francisco Santiago scored 12 points with six rebounds, five assists and five steals while Cameron Morse added 14 points.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 41st win over Cleveland State.
• Mark the Penguins' second straight win over the Vikings.
• Mark the first season sweep over Cleveland State since 2004.
• Mark YSU's first win over CSU at the Beeghly Center since 2014 and the 25th overall.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 709th career win and his 128th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,062nd victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 10-16 overall record and a 5-8 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's fifth home win of the season.
Penguins Reach 200
• With 13 3-pointers against Detroit on Feb. 6, the Penguins reached 200 3-pointers in a season for the sixth straight season.
• The Penguins have made 206 3-pointers, which rank as the sixth most in school history.
• Last year, the Penguins made 208 3-pointers, which is fifth on the list.
• The school mark is 270 which was set in 2011-12.
Donlan Reaches 70 Mark, Now 5th
• With four 3-pointers against Detroit on Feb. 6, junior Matt Donlan moved into fifth place on the YSU single-season 3-point list with 71.
• Donlan also became the fourth player to make at least 70 3s in one year.
• The others were Blake Allen (2011-12, 2012-13), Marcus Keene (2014-15) and Craig Haese (2000-01).
• He needs 20 more to tie for third (91) on the list with Marcus Keene ( 2014-15) and Blake Allen (2011-12).
Santiago Reaches Century Club
• With eight assists against Detroit on Feb. 6, sophomore Francisco Santiago surpassed the 100 assists plateau this season.
• Santiago now has assists on the year and it marks the eighth straight year a YSU player collected at least 100 assists in a season.
• Sophomore Cameron is one of the top scoring threats in the Horizon League.
• Morse has scored at least 20 points 12 times this season with nine of those in league play.
• He leads the league with 24.6 points per game in league play and is second overall with 19.9 points per game.
• He has scored 44 points against Green Bay on Jan. 9 and 30 against Detroit on Feb. 6.
• Kendrick Perry is the last player to score at least 30 points in multiple games in a season in 2013-14.
• The last YSU player with at least 12 20-point games in a season was Kendrick Perry with 15 in 2013-14.
• Perry had nine 20-point scoring efforts as a sophomore in 2011-12.