Jan 08, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Green Bay
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 9 | 7:05 p.m.
Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team closes out its short Horizon League homestand when it welcomes Green Bay, Saturday, Jan. 9, at the Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is set for 7:05 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins will play five of their next six games on the road starting with a matchup against Horizon League newcomer Northern Kentucky on Thursday, Jan. 14.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins are coming off an 81-65 loss to Milwaukee on Jan. 7 at the Beeghly Center.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse scored a team-high 18 points on 7-of-14 shooting from the floor and had two 3-pointers.
• Sophomore Francisco Santiago posted 17 points with a team-best eight rebounds and converted three 3-pointers.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 705 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 705 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 705 wins.
About Green Bay
• Green Bay enters the game with an overall record of 10-5 and a 3-0 record in the Horizon League.
• The Phoenix, who have won four straight games, are led by senior Carrington Love with 18.6 points per game, which ranks second in the Horizon League.
• Senior Jordan Fouse is averaging 11.3 points per game and is third in the league with 8.1 rebounds per game.
• Charles Cooper is also averaging in double figures with 10.8 points per game.
The Green Bay Series
• This is the 39th meeting between YSU and Green Bay in a series that dates back to 1993.
• The Phoenix own a 30-8 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last six games.
• The last time the Penguins defeated the Phoenix was a 77-60 win in 2012 at the Beeghly Center.
• The Phoenix won the last meeting, 63-62, in 2015 at the Beeghly Center.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse is quickly becoming one of the Horizon League's best players.
• Over the last four games, Morse is averaging 21.8 points per game and shooting 49.2 percent from the field.
• In three Horizon League games, Morse is posting 21.7 points per contest and averaging two 3-pointers per game.
• Overall, Morse ranks fourth in the league with 2.4 steals per game and 16.2 points per game.
• He is also eighth in free-throw percentage at .761 and has an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.7, which is seventh in the league.
• Morse has scored 22, 24, 23 and 18 points, respectively, in the last four contests and has five 20-point outings this season.
• He had a career-high 28 points against FGCU on Nov. 21 and 23 against Toledo on Nov. 18.
Century Club First
• Its 100 point effort against Oakland on Jan. 4 marked the first time Youngstown State scored at least 100 points in a Horizon League game.
• The last time YSU scored at least 100 points against a conference opponent was in 2001 against Western Illinois as part of the Mid-Continent Conference (now Summit League.
• The Penguins' 16 3-pointers against Oakland on Jan. 4 were the second most in school history.
• It marked just the third time in school history the Penguins made at least 15 3-pointers in a game.
• The other two times were in 2013 when the Penguins set the school mark of 18 against Oakland on March 19, and made 15 against Canisius on March 23.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its ninth win over Green Bay.
• Mark YSU's first over Green Bay since 2012.
• Snap a six-game losing streak to the Phoenix.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 706th career win and his 125th at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's sixth win over Green Bay.
• Mark the 1,059th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins a 7-10 overall record and a 2-2 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's fourth home win of the season.