Jan 05, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Milwaukee
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 7 | 7:45 p.m.
Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team returns home to host Milwaukee in its Horizon League home opener, Thursday, Jan. 7, at the Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is set for 7:45 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins host Green Bay on Saturday, Jan. 9, at the Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is set for 7:05 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
• The game is part of a YSU women's and men's basketball doubleheader.
• The Penguins are coming off a 100-98 road win over Oakland on Jan. 4.
• Junior Jorden Kaufman's tip-in with one second left lifted the Penguins to the victory.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse led the Penguins with 23 points, six assists and four rebounds.
• Kaufman posted the first double-double of his career with 18 points and 13 rebounds, both career highs.
• Junior Matt Donlan scored 19 points with five 3-pointers against the Golden Grizzlies.
• Freshman Jordan Andrews also posted his third straight career-scoring high with 18 points.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 705 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 705 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 705 wins.
• Milwaukee enters the game with a 10-5 overall mark and a 1-1 record in the Horizon League.
• The Panthers are coming off a 76-67 win over Northern Kentucky on Jan. 4.
• Five Panthers average in double figures led by senior Matt Tiby with 15.5 points per game. He also leads the team with 8.9 rebounds per game.
• Akeem Springs is averaging 13.5 points per game while Austin Arians is at 11.7 ppg, Jordan Johnson is at 11.5 ppg and J.J. Panoske is at 10.5 ppg.
The Milwaukee Series
• This is the 38th meeting between YSU and Milwaukee in a series that dates back to 1972.
• The Panthers own a 27-10 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two games.
Century Club First
• Its 100 point effort against Oakland on Jan. 4 marked the first time Youngstown State scored at least 100 points in a Horizon League game.
• The last time YSU scored at least 100 points against a conference opponent was in 2001 against Western Illinois as part of the Mid-Continent Conference (now Summit League.
• The Penguins' 16 3-pointers against Oakland on Jan. 4 were the second most in school history.
• It marked just the third time in school history the Penguins made at least 15 3-pointers in a game.
• The other two times were in 2013 when the Penguins set the school mark of 18 against Oakland on March 19, and made 15 against Canisius on March 23.