Jan 13, 2016
- Gamenotes vs. Norrthern Kentucky
- Head Coach Jerry Slocum Comments
- Sophomore Francisco Santiago Comments
|Youngstown State vs. Northern Kentucky
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 14 | 7 p.m.
BB&T Arena | Highland Heights, Ky.
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team heads back on the road to visit Horizon League newcomer Northern Kentucky, Thursday, Jan. 14, at the BB&T Arena in Highland Heights, Ky.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins visit Wright State on Saturday, Jan. 16.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
Green Bay Recap
• The Penguins are coming off an impressive 103-93 win over Green Bay on Jan. 9 at the Beeghly Center.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse scored a career-high 44 points on 13-of-18 shooting from the floor.
• Morse also tied the school's single-game record with 15 made free throws.
• Junior Matt Donlan posted a career-high 25 points with foru 3-pointers.
• Sophomore Francisco Santiago recorded his first career double-double with 12 points and a career-high 11 assists.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 706 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 706 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 706 wins.
About Northern Kentucky
• Northern Kentucky enters the game with an overall record of 4-10 and a 0-3 Horizon League mark.
• Leading the Norse is Jalen Billups with 13.2 points per game.
• Lavone Holland II is averaging 12.4 points per game and Tyler White is at 10.6 points per contest.
The Northern Kentucky Series
• This is the 10th meeting between YSU and Northern Kentucky in a series that dates back to 1976.
• This is also the first meeting between the schools as members of the Horizon League.
• The Penguins own a 7-2 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last six contests, including a 78-74 win last season at the Beeghly Center.
• The previous meeting between Youngstown State was on March 2, 1981 - an 81-77 YSU victory in Highland Heights.
Morse Named HL Co-Player of the Week
• Sophomore Cameron Morse was named the Horizon League's Co-Player of the Week, the first of his career.
• Morse averaged 28.3 points per game last week and scored a career-high 44 points against Green Bay on Jan. 9.
• His 44 points are tied for the eighth-highest single-game total in Horizon League play and tied for the ninth most in YSU history.
• Morse began the week with 23 points as the Penguins won on a last second tip-in at Oakland, 100-98, on Jan. 4.
• He also scored 18 points versus Milwaukee on Jan. 7.
Century Club Firsts
• In its first 15 years in the Horizon League, Youngstown State had never scored 100 points in a game in league play.
• The Penguins have now reached the 100-point plateau in two of their last three games.
• The Penguins scored 103 points against Green Bay on Jan. 9.
• Its 100 point effort against Oakland on Jan. 4 marked the first time Youngstown State scored at least 100 points in a Horizon League game.
• The last time YSU scored at least 100 points against a conference opponent was in 2001 against Western Illinois as part of the Mid-Continent Conference (now Summit League).
Donlan Among Nation's Leader
• Junior Matt Donlan is not only one of the Horizon League's top 3-point threats, but one of the top shooters in the country.
• Donlan, who ranks second in the Horizon League with 3.0 3-pointers made per game, ranks 12th in the nation with a .477 3-point percentage.
• He also ranks 20th in the nation with 51 made 3-pointers.
• The 6-foot-7 forward also ranks second in the league in 3-point percentage.
• He is seventh in the league in scoring with 18.5 points per game in Horizon League contests.