Posted: Dec 10, 2015
|Youngstown State vs. Purdue
|Date & Time||Saturday, Dec. 12 | 2 p.m.
Mackey Arena | West Lafayette, Ind.
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• After taking a pause for finals week, the Youngstown State men's basketball team (4-5) returns to action when it faces No. 11 Purdue, Saturday, Dec. 12, in West Lafayette, Ind.
• Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins return home to host Geneva, Tuesday, Dec. 15, at 7:05 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
• The Penguins are coming off a 60-56 loss to American on Dec. 4 at the Beeghly Center.
• Senior Bobby Hain had eight points and a team-high seven rebounds.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 703 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 703 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 703 wins.
• The 11th-ranked Purdue Boilermakers enter the game with a 10-0 record and are coming off a 93-55 win over Howard on Dec. 9.
• Leading Purdue is Isaac Haas with 13.6 points per game while A.J. Hammons is averaging 12.3 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.
• Rapheal Davis is also in double figures with 11.3 points per game.
• The Boilermakers are outrebounding their opponents by 13 boards per game.
The Purdue Series
• This is the second meeting between Youngstown State and Purdue and the first since Dec. 17, 1983.
• In that lone meeting, the Boilermakers defeated the Penguins, 65-54, in West Lafayette, Ind.
• Purdue is the first ranked opponent Youngstown State has faced since Butler in 2010.
• The Penguins own a record of 1-23 against nationally-ranked foes.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its first win over Purdue.
• Mark YSU's second win over a ranked opponent.
• Mark YSU's first win over a ranked opponent since 1952 - a 68-57 win over No. 19 LaSalle.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 704th career win and his 123rd at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's first win over Purdue.
• Mark the 1,057th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins a 5-5 overall record.
• Mark YSU's second road win of the season.
Hain Climbing Scoring Chart
• With eight points against American, senior Bobby Hain ranks 22nd on the YSU all-time scoring list with 1,163 career points.
• He needs just 25 more to move into 21st place past Ron Smith, who had 1,187 points from 1973-77.
• Hain also has 666 career rebounds and needs 16 more to move into 10th place on the all-time rebounding list.
No Bench Warmers
• The Penguins have been getting outstanding production from their bench play after nine games.
• YSU is averaging 27.3 points per game from its non-starters this season, including a season-high 50 against Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 21.
• The Penguins have been taking advantage of their size in the paint recently.
• In their last five games, the Penguins have scored at least 30 points in the paint in each game.
• Over the last five contests, the Penguins averaged 33.2 points in the paint, including a season-high 48 against North Dakota on Nov. 23.
Down Under Wonder
• Junior Matt Donlan is off to a fantastic start with the Penguins.
• Donlan tied a career high with 18 points against Robert Morris on Dec. 2
• He also set a career high with five 3-pointers made against the Colonials.
• He scored 18 points with four 3-pointers against Toledo on Nov. 18.
• He also turned in a terrific debut for the Penguins against Kent State on Nov. 14.
• The 6-foot-7 forward scored 15 points and had three 3-pointers against the Golden Flashes.
• Donlan has scored in double figures five times in eight games, and averages 12.0 points per game.
• He also leads the team with 22 3-pointers and ranks seventh in the Horizon League with 2.43-pointers made per game.
Morse Among Leaders
• Sophomore Cameron Morse is among the Horizon League leaders after the first nine games of the year.
• Morse ranks third in the league with 2.4 steals per game and ranks sixth with 15.1 points per game.
• He is also sixth in free-throw percentage at .839.
• He poured in a career-high 28 points against FGCU on Nov. 21.
• It marked his second straight 20-point performance and he has scored 106 points in his first seven games played. Morse scored 102 points in 17 games played as a freshman.
Hain Nets 1,000/600
• With seven rebounds against Kent State on Nov. 14, senior Bobby Hain became the sixth Division I player in YSU history to post at least 1,000 career points and 600 career rebounds.
• He has 666 career boards and needs 16 more to reach the top 10 in YSU history.
• Hain also had 20 points on 8-of-16 shooting against the Golden Flashes.
• Hain is also just the eighth Division I YSU player to score at least 1,100 points in a career (1,163).