Feb 26, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Northern Kentucky
|Date & Time||Saturday, Feb. 27 | 7:05 p.m.
Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team closes out the regular season and celebrates Senior Night when it hosts Northern Kentucky, Saturday, Feb. 27, at the Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is set for 7:05 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins will participate in the Little Caesar's Horizon League Men's Basketball Championship, March 5-8, at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Mich.
• The game is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
Wright State Recap
• The Penguins dropped an 87-81 decision to Wright State on Feb. 25
• Sophomore Cameron Morse scored a game-high 29 points with a career-best six 3-pointers to lead the Penguins.
•It marked his 15th 20-point game of the year and the 12th against Horizon League opponents.
• Junior Matt Donlan was the only other player in double figures with 18 points.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse is averaging 13.9 points more per game than last season.
• That scoring improvement ranks as the second-highest in Youngstown State's Division I era (since 1981-82).
• The highest increase in YSU's Division I history was 14.3 points per game by Tilman Bevely from 1985-86 to 1986-87.
• Bevely averaged 9.3 points per game in 1985-86 and 23.6 points per game in 1986-87.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 709 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 709 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 709 wins.
About Northern Kentucky
• Northern Kentucky enters the game with an overall mark of 9-19 and a Horizon League record of 5-12.
• The Norse have five players averaging in double figures led by Jalen Billups with 12.6 points per game.
• Billups also leads the Horizon League with a .591 field-goal percentage.
• Tyler White is averaging 11.8 points per game while Lavone Holland II (10.7 ppg), Drew McDonald (10.3) and Cole Murray (10.0 ppg) are also posting double figures.
The Northern Kentucky Series
• This is the 11th meeting between Youngstown State and Northern Kentucky in a series that dates back to 1976.
• The Penguins own a 7-3 advantage in the all-time series and have won six of the last seven contests.
• The Norse won the last meeting, 84-64, on Jan. 14 in Highland Heights, Ky.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its eighth win over Northern Kentucky.
• Mark YSU's fifth straight win over Northern Kentucky at the Beeghly Center since 1977.
• Mark YSU's seventh win in the last eight games against the Norse.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 710th career win and his 129th at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's second win over Northern Kentucky
• Mark the 1,063rd victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 11-20 overall record and a 6-12 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's sixth home win of the season.
Guins Dig the Long Ball
• The 3-point shot has been big in the Penguins repertoire in the Jerry Slocum era.
• This season, the Penguins have made 240 3-pointers, which are the fourth most in school history.
• The Penguins have also made at least 200 3-pointers in six straight seasons.
• The school record for most 3s in a season is 270 in 2011-12.
• For the seventh straight season, the Penguins have scored at least 2000 points in a year.
• The Penguins have scored 2,264 points this season.