Posted: Jan 27, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. UIC
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 28 | 8 p.m.
UIC Pavilion | Cleveland, Ohio
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team its second straight Horizon League win when it visits UIC, Thursday, Jan. 28, at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Ill.
• Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins close out their road swing and the month of January at Valparaiso, Saturday, Jan. 30.
• Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. at the Athletics-Recreation Center in Valparaiso, Ind.
• The Penguins will then play four straight at home starting Feb. 4 against Oakland at 7:45 p.m.
Cleveland State Recap
• The Penguins are coming off a 70-55 win over Cleveland State on Jan. 24 at Quicken Loans Arena.
• Sophomore Francisco Santiago turned in an outstanding all-around performance with 12 points, six rebounds, five assists and tied a career high with five steals.
• Junior Matt Donlan led the Penguins with 16 points and four 3-pointers.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse reached double figures for the 17th time with 14 against the Vikings.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 707 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 707 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 707 wins.
• UIC enters the game with a 2-17 overall record and an 0-8 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Flames, who have lost nine straight, are led by Dikembe Dixson with 16.5 points per game.
• Dixson is also averaging 19.6 points per game in Horizon League play.
• The Flames have not won a game against a Division I opponent this season.
The UIC Series
• This is the 36th meeting between Youngstown State and UIC in a series that dates back to 1993.
• The Flames own a 25-10 advantage in the all-time series, but the Penguins have won three of the last four.
• The Penguins have also won 10 of the last 19 games after dropping the first 16 of the series.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 11th win over UIC.
• Mark YSU's second straight win over the Flames.
• Mark YSU's first win in Chicago since 2014.
• Mark YSU's fourth win in the last five games against UIC.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 708th career win and his 127th at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 11th win over CSU.
• Mark the 1,061st victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 9-13 overall record and a 4-5 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's third road win of the season.
Donlan Now 10th
• With four 3-pointers against Cleveland State on Jan. 24, junior Matt Donlan moved into a tie for 10th on the YSU single-season 3-pointers made list.
• It also marks the fifth straight year a YSU player has made at least 60 3s in a season.
Man at Work
• Junior Matt Donlan not only leads the Horizon League in 3-point field-goal percentage at .480, he is one of the nation's top 3-point threats.
• Donlan, who ranks tied for second in the Horizon League with 2.9 3-pointers made per game, ranks eighth in the nation with a .480 3-point percentage.
• He also ranks 25th in the nation with 60 made 3-pointers.
• He is 12th in the league in scoring with 13.1 points per game.
Morse's 44 Among Nation's Best
• Sophomore Cameron Morse's career-high 44 points are tied for the fourth-highest single-game scoring high this season.
• The only players in the nation that have scored more points in a game are Oklahoma's Buddy Hield and Iona's A.J. English, who both scored 46 points. English also scored 45.
• Hield scored 46 against Kansas on Jan. 4 while English posted 46 against Fairfield on Dec. 1, and 45 against Monmouth on Jan. 16.
• Santa Clara's Jared Brownridge scored 44 points against Arizona on Nov. 26.
Francisco, That's Fun to Say
• Sophomore Francisco Santiago posted one of his best all-around performances against Cleveland State on Jan. 24.
• He scored 12 points with six rebounds, five assists and tied a career high with five steals.
• Santiago recorded the first double-double of his career with 12 points and a career-high 11 assists against Green Bay on Jan. 9.
• Santiago has 87 assists for an average of 4.1 assists per game and owns an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.8.
• He ranks fourth in the Horizon League in assists per game and sixth in assist-to-turnover ratio.
• Santiago is tied for the team lead with 33 steals and ranks fifth in the league at 1.6 steals per game.
• He tied a career high with 17 points against Milwaukee on Jan. 7.