Feb 15, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. UIC
|Date & Time||Tuesday, Feb. 16 | 7:05 p.m.
Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team closes out its four-game homestand when it welcomes Horizon League foe UIC, Tuesday, Feb. 16.
• Tipoff is set for 7:05 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins will make their final regular-season road trip of the year beginning with a matchup against Green Bay, Saturday, Feb. 20.
• Tipoff is slated for 3 p.m. at the Resch Center.
Cleveland State Recap
• Three players scored in double figures but the Penguins dropped a 64-59 decision to Cleveland State on Feb. 13.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse led the Penguins with 18 points while sophomore Francisco Santiago and freshman Jordan Andrews each had 13 points.
• For the game, the Penguins shot just 35.8 percent from the field and went 5-of-24 from behind the arc.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse is averaging 13.8 points more per game than last season.
• That scoring improvement ranks as the second-highest in Youngstown State's Division I era (since 1981-82).
• The highest increase in YSU's Division I history was 14.3 points per game by Tilman Bevely from 1985-86 to 1986-87.
• Bevely averaged 9.3 points per game in 1985-86 and 23.6 points per game in 1986-87.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 708 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 708 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 708 wins.
• UIC enters the game with a 5-19 overall record and a 3-10 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Flames have also won three of their last four games, including a 64-59 win over Wright State on Feb. 11 and a 79-77 win over Northern Kentucky on Feb. 13.
• Leading the Flames is freshman Dikembe Dixson with 18.1 points and 7.1 rebounds per game.
The UIC Series
• This is the 37th meeting between Youngstown State and UIC in a series that dates back to 1993.
• The Flames own a 25-11 advantage in the all-time series, but the Penguins have won four of the last five, including the last two contests.
Last Time Against UIC
• In the first meeting against the Flames, the Penguins led by as many as 24 points and held on for an 82-78 victory on Jan. 28 in Chicago, Ill.
• Cameron Morse scored a team-high 22 points while junior Matt Donlan and freshman Jordan Andrews each had 18 points.
• The 18 points tied a career high for Andrew.
• The Penguins also made 14 3-pointers and shot 51.9 percent from 3-point range.
Donlan Reaches 70 Mark, Now 5th
• With one 3-pointer against Cleveland State on Feb. 13, junior Matt Donlan ranks fifth on the YSU single-season 3-point list with 72.
• Donlan also became the fourth player to make at least 70 3s in one year.
• The others were Blake Allen (2011-12, 2012-13), Marcus Keene (2014-15) and Craig Haese (2000-01).
• He needs 19 more to tie for third (91) on the list with Marcus Keene (2014-15) and Blake Allen (2011-12).
• Sophomore Cameron is one of the top scoring threats in the Horizon League.
• Morse has scored at least 20 points 12 times this season with nine of those in league play.
• He leads the league with 24.1 points per game in league play and is second overall with 19.8 points per game.
• He has scored 44 points against Green Bay on Jan. 9 and 30 against Detroit on Feb. 6.
• Kendrick Perry is the last player to score at least 30 points in multiple games in a season in 2013-14.
• The last YSU player with at least 12 20-point games in a season was Kendrick Perry with 15 in 2013-14.
• Perry had nine 20-point scoring efforts as a sophomore in 2011-12.
Andrews Moving Up Frosh 3-Point List
• With three 3-pointers against Cleveland State on Feb. 13, freshman Jordan Andrews moved into second place on the YSU freshman single-season 3-pointers made list with 38.
• He needs eight more to tie and nine to break the record of 46 set by Vytas Sulskis in 2007-08.
• Andrews has made 23 of his 38 3-pointers against Horizon League foes and is shooting 39 percent from beyond the arc.