Jan 29, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Valparaiso
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 30 | 8 p.m.
Athletics-Recreation Center | Valparaiso, Ind.
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team seeks its third straight Horizon League when it visits league leader Valparaiso, Saturday, Jan. 30, at the Athletics-Recreation Center.
• Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins begin four-game homestand against Oakland, Thursday, Feb. at 7:45 p.m.
• It is part of a basketball doubleheader with the YSU women's basketball team.
• The Penguins made 14 3-pointers and picked up their second straight win with an 82-78 win over UIC on Jan. 28.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse led the Penguins with 22 points and a career-high eight assists.
• Freshman Jordan Andrews tied a career high with 18 points and made three 3-pointers.
• Junior Matt Donlan posted 18 points and four 3-pointers with six rebounds.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse is averaging 12.9 points more per game than last season.
• That scoring improvement ranks as the second-highest in Youngstown State's Division I era (since 1981-82).
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 708 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 708 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 708 wins.
• Valparaiso enters the game with an overall record of 18-4 and a Horizon League best 8-1 mark in league play.
• Leading the Crusaders is junior Alec Peters with 17.1 points and 7.9 rebounds per game.
• Tevonn Walker is also averaging in double figures with 10.9 points per game.
The Valpo Series
This is the 42nd meeting between Youngstown State and Valparaiso in a series that dates back to 1989.
• The Crusaders lead the all-time series 32-9 and have won the last six games.
• Valparaiso defeated the Penguins, 96-65, at the Beeghly Center on Jan. 18.
• The last time the Penguins defeated the Crusaders was in 2013, and the last YSU victory at the ARC was in 1998.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 10th win over Valparaiso.
• Mark YSU's third straight Horizon League win.
• Snap a six-game skid to the Crusaders.
• Mark YSU's first win over Valparaiso since 2013.
• Mark YSU's first win at Valparaiso since 1998.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 709th career win and his 128th at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's third win over Valpo.
• Mark the 1,062nd victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 10-13 overall record and a 5-5 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's fourth road win of the season.
Donlan Now 7th
• With four 3-pointers against UIC on Jan. 28, junior Matt Donlan moved into seventh place on the single-season 3-pointer list with 64.
• He needs five more to move into fifth place on the list.
• It also marks the fifth straight year a YSU player has made at least 60 3s in a season.
Santiago Nearing Century Club
• Sophomore Francisco Santiago is nearing 100 assists on the season.
• Santiago has 95 assists and needs five more to reach the 100-assist plateau.
• It would mark the eighth straight year a YSU player collected at least 100 assists in a season.
• Sophomore Cameron is becoming one of the top scoring threats in the Horizon League.
• Morse has scored at least 20 points nine time this season with six of those in league play.
• He leads the league with 23.9 points per game in league play and is second overall with 18.9 points per game.
Andrews Ties Career High
• Freshman Jordan Andrews tied a career-scoring high with 18 points against UIC on Jan. 28.
• Andrews conected on 5-of-9 shooting from the field with three 3-pointers and five free throws.
• He also scored 18 points against Oakland on Jan. 4.