Posted: Jan 17, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Valparaiso
|Date & Time||Monday, Jan. 18 | 7:02 p.m.
Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team returns home to host first-place Valparaiso, Monday, Jan. 18, at the Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• This is the Penguins' third game in five days.
• The Penguins begin a string of three straight away contests against Cleveland State, Sunday, Jan. 24.
• Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.
Wright State Recap
• The Penguins are coming off an 81-45 loss to Wright State on Jan. 16.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse scored a game-high 18 points to lead the Penguins.
• Morse recorded his 15th double-figure scoring performance and scored at least 18 points for the seventh straight game.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 706 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 706 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 706 wins.
• Valparaiso enters the game with a 15-3 overall record and a 5-0 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Crusaders, who have won five straight, are led by player-of-the-year candidate Alec Peters with 17.4 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.
• Peters ranks fourth in the league in scoring and second in rebounding.
• Sophomore Tevonn Walker is averaging 12.3 points per game.
• The Crusaders are averaging 74.6 points per game and allowing just 59.7 points per contest.
The Valparaiso Series
• This is the 41st meeting between Youngstown State and Valparaiso in a series that started in 1989.
• The Crusaders own a 31-9 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last five contests.
• Valparaiso won the last meeting, 77-62, at the Beeghly Center.
• The last time YSU defeated the Crusaders was in 2013, 80-68, at the Beeghly Center.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 10th win over Valparaiso.
• Mark YSU's first win over the Crusaders since 2013.
• Snap a five-game losing streak to the Crusaders.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 707th career win and his 126th at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's third win over Valparaiso.
• Mark the 1,060th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 8-12 overall record and a 3-4 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's fifth home win of the season.
• Youngstown State is second in the Horizon League with 7.9 steals per game.
• The Penguins also rank 19th in the nation in total steals with 150.
• Against Geneva on Dec. 15, the Penguins recorded 28 steals as a team.
• It marked the second-highest single-game total in school history.
• The school record is 30 set in 1997.
• It was also just the fifth time in school history the Penguins tallied at least 20 steals in a game.
Man at Work
• Junior Matt Donlan not only leads the Horizon League in 3-point field-goal percentage at .478, he is one of the nation's top 3-point threats.
• Donlan, who ranks second in the Horizon League with 2.9 3-pointers made per game, ranks 11th in the nation with a .478 3-point percentage.
• He also ranks 22nd in the nation with 55 made 3-pointers.
• He is 10th in the league in scoring with 15.3 points per game in Horizon League contests.