Posted: Jan 15, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Wright State
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 16 | 7 p.m.
Nutter Center | Dayton, Ohio
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|@YSUSports | @YSUMensHoops | @JayMe_Hall|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team closes out its quick two-game road trip when it visits Wright State, Saturday, Jan. 16, at the Nutter Center.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• The Penguins return home to host Horizon League favorite, Valparaiso, Monday, Jan. 18, at the Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
Northern Kentucky Recap
• The Penguins are coming off a tough 84-64 loss to Horizon League newcomer Northern Kentucky on Jan. 14.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse scored a game-high 29 points on 10-of-16 shooting with four rebounds and four assists.
• Junior Matt Donlan scored in double figures for the 13th time this season with 15 points.
• Donlan made 6-of-11 from the field, including three 3-pointers.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 706 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history to reach 700 wins.
• He ranks 37th with 706 career wins.
• Slocum currently ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 706 wins.
About Wright State
• Wright State enters the game with a 9-8 overall record and a 3-1 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Raiders have won six of their last seven games after starting the year 3-7.
• JT Yoho leads the Raiders with 12.4 points per game while Mark Alstork is averaging 11.9 points per game.
• Joe Thomasson is also averaging 10.4 points per game.
• Wright State ranks second in the league in scoring defense allowing 64.2 points per game.
The Wright State Series
• This is the 52nd meeting between Youngstown State and Wright State in a meeting that dates back to 1977.
• The Raiders own a 40-11 advantage in the all-time series, but the Penguins won the last meeting, 74-69, at the Nutter Center last season.
• It marked the Penguins' first win at the Nutter Center since 1994.
Man at Work
• Junior Matt Donlan not only leads the Horizon League in 3-point field-goal percentage at .482, he one of the nation's top 3-point threats.
• Donlan, who ranks second in the Horizon League with 3.0 3-pointers made per game, ranks 12th in the nation with a .482 3-point percentage.
• He also ranks 15th in the nation with 54 made 3-pointers.
• He is seventh in the league in scoring with 17.8 points per game in Horizon League contests.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 12th win over Wright State.
• Mark YSU's second straight win over the Raiders.
• Mark YSU's second straight win at the Nutter Center.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 707th career win and his 126th at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's sixth win over Wright State.
• Mark the 1,060th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 8-11 overall record and a 3-3 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's third road win of the season.
• Cameron Morse's 44-point performance against Green Bay ranks tied for eighth in a Horizon League game and tied for ninth in a YSU game.
• The last YSU player to score at least 40 points in game was Reggie Kemp in 1993.
• The last time a player scored at least 44 points in a Horizon League game was Cleveland State's Damon Stringer's 47 against Milwaukee in 2000.
• Youngstown State is second in the Horizon League with 8.2 steals per game.
• The Penguins also rank 15th in the nation in total steals with 147.
• Against Geneva on Dec. 15, the Penguins recorded 28 steals as a team.
• It marked the second-highest single-game total in school history.
• The school record is 30 set in 1997.
• It was also just the fifth time in school history the Penguins tallied at least 20 steals in a game.