Apr 06, 2017
Now that the college basketball season has officially come to a close, here are some team highlights and individual accomplishments from the 2016-17 Youngstown State men's basketball season.
- For the eighth straight season, the Penguins eclipsed the 2,000-point plateau with a school record 2,616 points.
- The Penguins also made 250 3-pointers, marking the seventh straight year they have made at least 200 3s in a season. The 250 are also the third-highest total in a single-season.
- The Penguins notched 90-82 victory over the 2017 Mid-American Conference regular-season champion Akron to open the season on Nov. 12. It marked the first win over Akron since 1994 and snapped a six-game losing streak to the Zips.
- Youngstown State also won in Green Bay for the first time since 2003 with a 92-89 victory at the Resch Center.
- The Penguins reached the Horizon League Tournament semifinals with an improbable, last-second 81-80 win over No. 1-seeded and regular-season co-champion Oakland on March 4, 2017. It also marked the Penguins first appearance in a conference semifinal since 1999.
- Junior Cameron Morse was named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District 12 First-Team and the All-Horizon League First-Team.
- Morse led the Horizon League in scoring with 23.2 points per game in league games and ranked second overall with 22.9 points per game. He also ranked ninth nationally in points per game.
- His 711 points set the YSU Division I single-season scoring record and are the second-most in a single season in school history.
- Morse scored in double figures in 30 of 31 games, had five 30-point games, three 40-point contests, and was one two players nationally to score at least 40 point at least three times.
- Morse made a career-best 76 3-pointers, which rank sixth on the YSU single-season list.
- Morse was named to the Horizon League All-Tournament Team after averaging 24.7 points per game in three games. He scored 34 points with seven rebounds and five assists in the win over Oakland.
- Morse ranks seventh all-time with 153 career 3-pointers.
- Junior Francisco Santiago increased his offensive production with a career-best 11.3 points per game. He also ranked second in the Horizon League with 4.6 assists per game and a 2.2 assist-to-turnover ratio.
- Santiago, who averaged 10.9 points per game in league play, dished out 158 assists, which rank eighth on the single-season list. He also led the team with 49 steals, which are 10th on the single season list.
- Santiago ranks ninth all-time with 297 career assists and needs three more to become the ninth player in school history with 300 career assists.
- Senior Matt Donlan drained 67 3-pointers and scored 316 points on the year. His 67 3s rank eighth on the single-season list.
- For his career, Donlan made 149 career 3-pointers, which rank ninth all-time.
- Jerry Slocum, who won 142 games as the Penguins head coach, retired after 12 years at Youngstown State and 42 years overall. His 723 career wins rank 35th in NCAA history.