The career of one of the top scorers in Youngstown State men's basketball history came to an end as the first chapter of the Jerrod Calhoun era came to a close.
Senior Cameron Morse finished his storied career ranked sixth on the Youngstown State all-time scoring list with 1,913 career points. That total also ranks second in YSU's Division I era which began in 1981-82. A three-time All-Horizon League performer, Morse tied the school career record with 232 made 3-pointers and finished his career ranked fifth with 394 made free throws, seventh with 334 assists and 17.4 points per game, and eighth with 126 steals and 666 field-goals made.
Team and Individual Season Notes
- The Penguins broke the school record for most steals in a season with 266 and broke the record of 255 set in 1990-91.
- YSU scored 2,410 total points marking the ninth straight year the Penguins have scored at least 2,000 points. It also ranks as the fifth-most points scored in a season in school history.
- The Penguins' 235 3-pointers made rank tied for sixth on the single-season chart and marked the eighth straight season YSU made at least 200 3-pointers in a year.
- YSU made 902 field goals in 2017-18, which tied for the sixth most in school history and rank third in the Division I era.
- Youngstown State started Horizon League play with a 3-0 record for the first time since joining the conference in 2001-02 and for the first time since 1997-98.
- Senior Cameron Morse was named All-Horizon League Second-Team after averaging 15.4 points per game overall and 17.2 points per game in Horizon League play. The Flint, Mich., native ranked seventh in the league in overall scoring, tied for third with 3.9 assists per game and 2.5 made 3-pointers per game.
- Morse's 79 made 3-pointers rank sixth on the YSU single-season list and were the third most in the Horizon League this season.
- Freshman Naz Bohannon was named to the Horizon League All-Freshman Team after averaging 7.2 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. He ranked third in Horizon League play with 9.0 rebounds per game and ranked fifth overall. He posted four double-doubles and had seven double-digit rebound games. His 259 rebounds were the most since Jerome Sims had 327 in 1991-92 and the most by a YSU freshman since Jeff Covington's 311 in 1974-75.
- Braun Hartfield had a solid sophomore campaign averaging 13.6 points per game and posted 435 total points this season. He now has 724 career points and needs just 276 to become the 38th player in school history to score 1,000 career points.
- Hartfield led the Horizon League with 54 steals and 1.7 steals per game. His 54 steals rank sixth on the YSU single-season list
- Junior Devin Haygood posted a team-best 37 blocked shots, which rank eighth on the YSU single-season list. Haygood now ranks sixth all-time with 80 blocks in his career. He needs 20 more to become just the fifth player in school history to reach 100 career blocked shots. Haygood posted a field-goal percentage of .542 and now owns a YSU Division I career best field-goal percentage of .555
- Freshman Garrett Covington turned in a solid rookie campaign averaging 8.3 points per game and scoring in double figures 13 times. Covington tied the school single-game record with seven steals against Franciscan on Nov. 14. The Carmel, Ind., native tied a career-high 18 points and hit a game-winning buzzer beater against Oakland on Feb. 14.