Posted: Dec 06, 2017
|Youngstown State at Butler|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Dec. 9 @ 12 p.m. EDT|
|Location||Hinkle Fieldhouse | Indianapolis, Ind.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV/Video||Fox Sports Net | FoxSportsGo|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 452 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse is the 12th player in school history to score 1,500 points and ranks 11th all-time with 1,548.
• Morse also needs 444 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer. The YSU Division I scoring record is 1,991 by set by Kendrick Perry (2010-14).
• Senior guard Francisco Santiago ranks eighth in school history with 306 career assists. He became the ninth player in school history with 300 assists in a career.
• YSU set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14. YSU also tied the mark for most field-goal attempts.
• According to College Basketball Reference, freshman Garrett Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it. Covington had 16 points, tied a school record with seven steals and had eight assists.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield set a career-scoring high with 33 points against Canisius on Nov. 18. He also tied a career high with five 3-pointers.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team will play its second straight Big East opponent when it visits former Horizon League foe Butler, Saturday, Dec. 9.
• Tipoff is slated for Noon at Hinkle Fieldhouse and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and FoxSports Network.
• After finals week, the Penguins will continue their stretch of six straight road games at Idaho State, Monday, Dec. 18, in Pocatello, Idaho.
• Tipoff is slated for 8 p.m. EDT. at Holt Arena and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins dropped an 89-73 decision to Big East member DePaul on Dec. 2 in Chicago, Ill.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield led the Penguins with 23 points on 7-of-12 shooting and tied a career best with five 3-pointers.
The Butler Series
• This is 25th meeting between Youngstown State and Butler in a series that dates back to 1983.
• It also marks the first meeting against Butler as part of the Big East Conference.
• Butler owns a 21-3 advantage in the all-time series and has won the last two matchups.
• The last Penguins victory was a 62-60 win at the Beeghly Center in 2011.
Penguins vs. The Big East
• This is Youngstown State's 16th game against an opponent from the Big East Conference.
• The Penguins own a 0-15 mark against Big East foes, including an 89-73 loss to DePaul on Dec. 2, 2017.
• YSU has played Boston College (0-1), DePaul (0-3), Notre Dame (0-2), Pittsburgh (0-7) and St. John's (0-2).
Morse 2,000-Point Countdown
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,548 career points and needs 452 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 444 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Hartfield Fifth In Scoring
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield ranks high in the Horizon League scoring list.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native ranks fifth with 15.3 points per game through nine games.
• He is coming off a game-high 23 points against DePaul and tied a career high with five 3-pointers against the Blue Devils.
• He also dished out five assists.
• Over the last two games, senior guard Jaylen Benton has increased his productivity.
• Benton scored 10 points against DePaul with a pair of 3-pointers, five assists, three rebounds and three steals.
• Against Robert Morris, Benton added eight points with four steals.
• In the last two games, Benton is averaging 9.0 points, 4.0 assists and 3.5 steals per game and shooting 47.1 percent from the floor.
Ferguson Nets Career High
• Sophomore Jeremiah Ferguson scored a career-high 10 points against Northern Colorado on Nov. 24 then tied his career high against South Dakota on Nov. 26.
• It marks Ferguson's first double-figure scoring games of his career.
• Ferguson is also averaging 2.2 assists per game.
Morse Named to Lou Henson Award Preseason Watch List
• Senior has been named to the 2017-18 Lou Henson Award Watch List.
• The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I mid-major player.
• Morse is one of four Horizon League players on the list.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its fourth win over Butler.
• Mark Youngstown State's first win at Hinkle Fieldhouse in 13 tries.
• Mark Youngstown State's first win over Butler since 2011.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 127th career win and his third at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,079th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 3-7 overall record.
• Mark YSU's first road win of the season.