Nov 17, 2017
|Youngstown State at Canisius|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Nov. 18 @ 7 p.m.|
|Location||Koessler Athletic Center | Buffalo, N.Y.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngstown State Storylines
• The Penguins return three starters and six letterwinners from last year's team that advanced to the Horizon League Semifinals.
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 551 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse, a two-time All-Horizon League selection, also needs 543 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer.
• Senior guard Francisco Santiago ranks ninth in school history with 299 career assists. He needs just one more to become the ninth player in school history with 300 assists in a career.
• YSU set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14. YSU also tied the mark for most field-goal attempts.
• According to College Basketball Reference, freshman Garrett Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it. Covington had 16 points, seven steals and eight assists.
• Freshman Michael Akuchie scored a career-high 28 points. It's the most by a YSU freshman since Tim Jackson had 31 against Eastern Kentucky on Feb. 27, 1988.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team makes its first true road trip of the season when it visits Canisius, Saturday, Nov. 18.
• Tipoff is at Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at the Koessler Athletic Center and the game will be broadcast on 570-AM WKBN and ESPN3.
• The Penguins return home to host Westminster, Tuesday, Nov. 21, at the Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. and is part of the Sanford Pentagon Showcase.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins are coming off a 134-46 win over Franciscan on Tuesday, Nov. 14.
• YSU set school single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88).
• Six players scored in double figures led by freshman Michael Akuchie's career-high 28 points on 11-of-16 shooting.
• Freshman Garrett Covington and junior Tyree Robinson each had 16 points, sophomore Braun Hartfield had 14 and senior Jaylen Benton and junior Devin Haygood each had 10.
The Canisius Series
• This is the sixth meeting between Youngstown State and Canisius in a series that dates back to 1941.
• The Golden Griffs own a 5-0 advantage in the all-time series.
• Canisius defeated the Penguins last season, 90-84, a the Beeghly Center.
• The Golden Griffs also defeated the Penguins, 84-82, in the second round of the 2013 CollegeInsider.com Tournament at the Beeghly Center.
Morse 2,000-Point Countdown
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,449 career points and needs 551 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 543 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Record Setting Night
• The Penguins set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its win over Franciscan.
• Youngstown State also tied the school record for most field-goal attempts with 104 and its 56 field goals made is tied for the second most in a single game.
• The Penguins' 73 points in the second half are the third-highest total in a half in school history and the most since YSU scoring 74 in the first half against Point Park in 1990.
Morse Named to Lou Henson Award Preseason Watch List
• Senior has been named to the 2017-18 Lou Henson Award Watch List.
• The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I mid-major player.
• Morse is one of four Horizon League players on the list.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its first win over Canisius.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 126th career win and his second at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's first win over Canisius.
• Mark the 1,078th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 2-1 overall record.
• Mark YSU's first road win of the season.
Akuckie Nets Most Points By a Freshman in 29 Years
• Freshman Michael Akuchie scored a career-high 28 points on 11-of-16 field-goal attempts in YSU's 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14.
• It's the most by a YSU freshman since Tim Jackson had 31 against Eastern Kentucky on Feb. 27, 1988.
• Freshman Garrett Covington has had an impressive start to his first campaign.
• Covington scored a career-high 16 points with five rebounds, eight assists and seven steals.
• His steals tied the school's single-game record.
• According to College Basketball Reference, Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it.
• Covington went 5-for-5 from the field with two 3s and 4-for-4 from the free-throw line.
• On the season, he is 7-of-9 from the floor for 77.8 percent.
Cisco Nearing 300 Assists
• Senior Francisco Santiago ranks ninth all-time with 299 career assists.
• With one more assist, he would become the ninth player in school history to post at least 300 assists in a career.
• Junior Tyree Robinson has been quite efficient on the floor.
• Robinson is averaging 13 points in just 11.5 minutes per game.
• He is also shooting 81.3 percent (13-of-16) from the floor.
Penguins Sign Three During Early Signing Period
• Youngstown State signed three players to National Letters of Intent during the 2017-18 early signing period.
• The Penguins added guards Darius Quisenberry (Huber Heights, Ohio), Jelani Simmons (Columbus, Ohio) and Atiba Taylor (Hackensack, N.J.).
• Quisenberry averaged 14.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game last season while Simmons posted averages of 15 points per game, 6.0 rebounds per game and 5.0 assists per game.
• Taylor, a three-star recruit, averaged 17 points, six assists, five rebounds and three steals per game.
Morse Climbing 1,000-Point Chart
• Last season, senior Cameron Morse became the 37th player in school history to reach 1,000 career points when he scored 13 against Northern Kentucky on Jan. 5, 2017.
• Morse now ranks 13th all-time with 1,449 career points.
• Morse was also the eighth YSU player to score 1,000 career points since 2005.