Posted: Dec 01, 2017
|Youngstown State at DePaul|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Dec. 2 @ 2 p.m. EDT|
|Location||Wintrust Arena |Chicago, Ill.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV/Video||Fox Sports Net|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 463 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse ranks 11th on the YSU all-time list.
• Morse, a two-time All-Horizon League selection, also needs 455 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer.
• Senior guard Francisco Santiago ranks eighth in school history with 306 career assists. He became the ninth player in school history with 300 assists in a career.
• YSU set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14. YSU also tied the mark for most field-goal attempts.
• According to College Basketball Reference, freshman Garrett Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it. Covington had 16 points, tied a school record with seven steals and had eight assists.
• Morse is the 12th player in school history to score 1,500 points and ranks 11th all-time with 1,532.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield set a career-scoring high with 33 points against Canisius on Nov. 18. He also tied a career high with five 3-pointers.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team begins a six-game road trip against Big East member DePaul, Saturday, Dec. 2, in Chicago, Ill.
• Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m. at Wintrust Arena and will be broadcast on 570-AM WKBN and FoxSports Network.
• The Penguins will will play its second straight Big East opponent when it visits former Horizon League foe Butler, Saturday, Dec. 9.
• Tipoff is slated for Noon. at Hinkle Fieldhouse and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and FoxSports Network.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins dropped an dropped a hard-fought 81-74 decision to Robert Morris on Nov. 29 at the Beeghly Center.
• Junior Devin Haygood led the Penguins with a season-high 15 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the field.
Morse Named to All-Tournament Team
Senior Cameron Morse was named to the Sanford Pentagon Showcase All-Tournament Team.
• Over those games, Morse averaged 17.8 points per game and had a season-high 24 against Southern Miss on Nov. 25.
• DePaul enters the game with a 2-4 record and is coming off an 82-69 win over Portland on Nov 26.
• Leading the Blue Demons is Max Strus with 14.8 points per game.
• Eli Cain, Marin Maric and Tre'Darius McCallum are also in double figures with 12.2, 11.7 and 10.8 points per game.
The DePaul Series
• This is just the third meeting between Youngstown State and DePaul in a series that dates back to 1961. The Penguins dropped the first meeting to the Blue Demons, 78-55, in 1961 and lost the only other meeting, 107-69, in 2001.
Morse 2,000-Point Countdown
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,537 career points and needs 463 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 455 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Ferguson Net Career High
• Sophomore Jeremiah Ferguson scored a career-high 10 points against Northern Colorado on Nov. 24 then tied his career high against South Dakota on Nov. 26.
• It marks Ferguson's first double-figure scoring games of his career.
• Ferguson is also averaging 2.5 assists per game.
• Junior Tyree Robinson has been quite efficient on the floor.
• Robinson is averaging 9.3 points per game while playing just 12.1 minutes per contest.
• He is also shooting 62.8 percent (27-of-43) from the floor.
Hartfield Nets Career Highs
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield turned in a career night in the Penguins' loss to Canisius on Nov. 18.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native scored a career-high 31 points on 11-of-18 shooting from the field, including a career-high-tying five 3-pointers.
• His previous high was 22 points against Cleveland State in the first round of the 2017 Horizon League Championship.
Morse Named to Lou Henson Award Preseason Watch List
• Senior has been named to the 2017-18 Lou Henson Award Watch List.
• The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I mid-major player.
• Morse is one of four Horizon League players on the list.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its first win over DePaul.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 127th career win and his third at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,079th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 3-6 overall record.
• Mark YSU's first road win of the season.
Cisco Dishes 300
• With three assists against Canisius, senior Francisco Santiago became the ninth player in school history to record at least 300 career assists.
• He ranks eighth all-time with 306 career assists.
Covington Continues to Impresses
• Freshman Garrett Covington has had an impressive start to his first campaign after eight games.
• He posted a career-high 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting against Westminster on Nov. 21. and had 12 points against Robert Morris on Nov. 29.
• Against Franciscan on Nov. 14, Covington scored 16 points with five rebounds, eight assists and seven steals.
• His steals tied the school's single-game record.
• According to College Basketball Reference, Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it.
• Covington went 5-for-5 from the field with two 3s and 4-for-4 from the free-throw line.
• On the season, he is 25-of-40 from the floor.
Morse Reaches 1,500
• With 24 points against Southern Miss, senior Cameron Morse became the 12th player in school history to score at least 1,500 points in a career and has 1,537.
• He now ranks 11th on the all-time list passing Tim Jackson, who scored 1,531 points from 1987-91.
• Last season, senior Cameron Morse became the 37th player in school history to reach 1,000 career points when he scored 13 against Northern Kentucky on Jan. 5, 2017.
• Morse was also the eighth YSU player to score 1,000 career points since 2005.
Record Setting Night
• The Penguins set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its win over Franciscan.
• Youngstown State also tied the school record for most field-goal attempts with 104 and its 56 field goals made is tied for the second most in a single game.
• The Penguins' 73 points in the second half are the third-highest total in a half in school history and the most since YSU scoring 74 in the first half against Point Park in 1990.
Akuckie Nets Most Points By a Freshman in 29 Years
• Freshman Michael Akuchie scored a career-high 28 points on 11-of-16 field-goal attempts in YSU's 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14.
• It's the most by a YSU freshman since Tim Jackson had 31 against Eastern Kentucky on Feb. 27, 1988.