Posted: Jan 11, 2018
|Youngstown State at Detroit Mercy|
|Date & Time||Friday, Jan. 12 @ 7 p.m.|
|Location||Calihan Hall | Detroit, Mich.|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Detroit Mercy Notes|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV/Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 332 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse became the 10th player school history to score 1,600 points and ranks 10th all-time with 1,668.
• Morse also needs 324 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer. The YSU Division I scoring record is 1,991 by set by Kendrick Perry (2010-14).
• Freshman Naz Bohannon recorded the first double-double of his career with 10 points and 10 rebounds against Indiana on Dec. 29. He is the seventh YSU freshman to post a double-double since 2004.
• Junior Tyree Robinson has made 15-of-27 field-goal attempts in Horizon League play for a FG% of .556.
• Senior Cameron Morse and sophomore Braun Hartfield lead the team with 19.5 points per game in Horizon League games.
• Senior Cameron Morse ranks in the YSU top 10 in 3-pointers made (4th), points per game (6h) and scoring (10th). He's approaching top 10 in FGs made and FTs made.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield ranks tied for ninth in the Horizon League in scoring (14.5), third in steals per game (1.7).
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team stays in the Motor City to take on Detroit Mercy, Friday, Jan. 12.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at Calihan Hall in Detroit, Mich.
• The Penguins close out their three-game road to with a match up against Wright State, Monday, Jan. 15.
• Tipoff is slated for 4 p.m. at the Nutter Center in Dayton, Ohio.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins' three-game winning streak was snapped after a 95-92 loss at Oakland on Jan. 10.
• Senior Cameron Morse and sophomore Jeremiah Ferguson each scored 21 points to lead the Penguins, who made a season-high 12 3-pointers.
• It marked a career-scoring high for Ferguson and Morse also made five 3-pointers.
• Senior Jaylen Benton scored a career-high 14 points and also made three 3-pointers.
The Detroit Mercy Series
• This is the 46th meeting between Youngstown State and Detroit Mercy in a series that dates back to 1953.
• The Titans lead the all-time series, 36-9, and have won the last nine games.
• In the last meeting, Detroit Mercy defeated the Penguins, 90-80, at the Beeghly Center on Feb. 4, 2017.
• The last time YSU defeated Detroit Mercy was a 77-63 win at the Beeghly Center in 2014.
• The last time the Penguins won at Calihan was a 64-61 win in 2011.
Morse 2,000-Point Countdown
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,668 career points and needs 332 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 324 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• He became just fourth player in YSU's Division I history to record 1,600 points and the 10th player all-time.
• Morse is the 48th player in Horizon League history to score at least 1,600 career points and ranks tied for 43rd on the Horizon League all-time scoring list.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Ferguson Turns In Career-Best Performance
• Sophomore Jeremiah Ferguson scored a career-high 21 points on a career-best 8-of-12 shooting from the floor against Oakland on Jan. 10.
• It marked the first 20-point game of Ferguson's career.
• Over the previous eight games, Ferguson scored just 17 points on 6-of-21 shooting from the field.
Morse Named POW
• Senior Cameron Morse was named the Horizon League Player of the Week on Jan. 8.
• Morse, who picked up the third weekly award of his career, led the Penguins to a 2-0 week with wins over Milwaukee (72-63) and Green Bay (85-74) and gave YSU its first 3-0 start in Horizon League play since joining the conference in 2001-02.
• The Flint, Mich., native averaged 22 points, 4.5 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 2.5 steals per game while shooting 51.6 percent from the field and 47.4 percent (9-for-19) from 3-point range.
• Against Milwaukee, Morse scored 25 points with five rebounds, six assists and four steals while going 9-of-16 from the floor with five 3-pointers.
• In the win over Green Bay, he scored 19 points with four 3-pointers and five assists
To Catch a Thief
• Youngstown State currently leads the Horizon League with 154 steals and 9.1 steals per game.
• The Penguins also rank 14th nationally in steals per game.
Hartfield Among League Leaders
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield ranks high in several Horizon League statistical categories.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native ranks third with 1.7 steals per game and tied for ninth with 14.5 points per game.
• He has 14 double figure scoring games this season and four of more than 20, including a career-high 33 against Canisius on Nov. 18.
• He scored a team-high 22 points in YSU's 80-77 win over Cleveland State on Jan. 1.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 10th win over Detroit Mercy.
• Mark Youngstown State's first win over the Titans since 2014.
• Mark YSU's first win at Calihan Hall since 2011.
• Snap a nine-game losing streak to Detroit Mercy.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 130th career win and his sixth at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,082nd victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 6-12 overall record and a 4-1 mark in the Horizon League
• Mark YSU's second road win of the season.