Posted: Jan 26, 2018
|Youngstown State at Green Bay|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 27 @ 1 p.m.|
|Location||Resch Center | Green Bay, Wis.|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Green Bay Notes|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV/Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 263 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse became the 10th player school history to score 1,700 points and ranks 8th all-time with 1,737.
• Morse also needs 255 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer. The YSU Division I scoring record is 1,991 by set by Kendrick Perry (2010-14).
• Freshman Naz Bohannon became the first YSU freshman to post at least three double-double in season since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02.
• Bohannon ranks third in Horizon League play with 8.6 rebounds per game. He also ranks sixth overall with 7.5 rpg.
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 984 points in his last 45 Horizon League games for an average of 21.9 points per game.
• Morse ranks in the YSU top 10 in 3-pointers made (2nd), points per game (7th), scoring (8th), field goals made (t-8th), steals (9th), assists and free throws made (10th).
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield ranks 8th in the Horizon League in scoring (14.9), third in steals per game (1.6).
• In league play, Morse and Hartfield rank tied for eighth in scoring with 16.3 points per game.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team closes out the road trip against Green Bay, Saturday, Jan. 27, in Green Bay, Wis.
• Tipoff is slated for 1 p.m. ET at the Resch Center.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
• The Penguins return home to host defending Horizon League Tournament Champions Northern Kentucky, Thursday, Feb. 1
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins dropped a disappointing 66-55 decision to Milwaukee on Jan. 25 at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena.
• Freshman Garrett Covington led the Penguins with 15 points while classmate Naz Bohannon added 13 points.
• YSU took 18 more shots than the Panthers but shot just 31.7 percent from the floor.
The Green Bay Series
• This is the 44th meeting between Youngstown State and Green Bay in a series that dates back to 1993.
• Green Bay owns a 32-11 advantage in the all-time series, but the Penguins have won the last two meetings and three of the last five.
• Earlier this season, YSU defeated Green Bay, 85-74, on Jan. 6 at the Beeghly Center.
• In last meeting at the Resch Center, the Penguins came away with a 92-89 victory on Jan. 20, 2017.
Last Time Against Green Bay
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team scored 50 points in the second half and had three players score at least 17 in an 85-74 win over Green Bay on Jan. 6 at Beeghly Center.
• The win marked the first time YSUwon its first three games to start Horizon League play for the first time since joining the conference in 2001-02 and for the first time since 1997-98.
• Braun Hartfield scored 13 of his team-high 21 points in the second half, and Cameron Morse had 14 of his 19 in the final 20 minutes.
• They helped lead a 21-point turnaround as the Penguins trailed 45-35 with 19 minutes left and went on to win by 11.
Morse Now in 8th Place on YSU Scoring List
• With 23 points against IUPUI on Jan. 20, senior Cameron Morse moved into eighth place on the YSU all-time scoring list and now has 1,737 career points.
• He also ranks third on the YSU Division I scoring chart.
• Morse needs 263 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 255 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Covington Making Moves
• Freshman Garrett Covington continues to improve as the year goes on.
• Over the last seven games, Covington averaged 10.5 points per game and shot and 52.2 percent (12-for-23) from 3-point range.
• He has scored in double figures 10 times this year, including 17 points against Green Bay in an 85-74 win on Jan. 6.
Bohannon Board Crashing
• Freshman Naz Bohannon is becoming one of the Horizon League's top rebounders.
• Over the last 13 games, Bohannon has grabbed 112 rebounds for an average of 8.6 per game.
• Bohannon ranks sixth in the Horizon League with 7.5 rebounds per game and is averaging 8.9 rebounds in league play, which ranks third.
• He has recorded at least six rebounds in 18 of 22 games.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 12th win over Green Bay.
• Mark YSU's third straight win and the fourth in the last six games over the Phoenix.
• Mark YSU's second straight win at the Resch Center and just the third in the all-time series.
• Mark YSU's first season sweep of the Phoenix.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 131st career win and his seventh at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,083rd victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 7-16 overall record and a 5-5 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's second road win of the season.
• Match YSU's Horizon League win total from last season.