Posted: Dec 17, 2017
|Youngstown State at Idaho State|
|Date & Time||Monday, Dec. 18 @ 9 p.m. EDT|
|Location||Holt Arena | Pocatello, Idaho|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV/Video||Big Sky Network | WatchBigSky|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 436 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse is the 12th player in school history to score 1,500 points and ranks tied for 10th all-time with 1,564.
• Morse also needs 428 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer. The YSU Division I scoring record is 1,991 by set by Kendrick Perry (2010-14).
• Senior guard Francisco Santiago ranks eighth in school history with 306 career assists. He became the ninth player in school history with 300 assists in a career.
• YSU set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14. YSU also tied the mark for most field-goal attempts.
• According to College Basketball Reference, freshman Garrett Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it. Covington had 16 points, tied a school record with seven steals and had eight assists.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield set a career-scoring high with 33 points against Canisius on Nov. 18. He also tied a career high with five 3-pointers.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team returns to action after more than a week off and visits Idaho State, Monday, Dec. 18, in Pocatello, Idaho.
• Tipoff is slated for 9 p.m. EDT at Holt Arena and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and the Big Sky Network.
• The Penguins play their final game before a break for Christmas when they visit Mountain West member Utah State, Wednesday, Dec. 20.
• Tipoff is slated for 9 p.m. EDT. at Dee Glen Smith Spectrum and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and the Mountain West Network.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins dropped a 95-67 decision to Big East member Butler on Dec. 9.
• Senior Cameron Morse and sophomore Braun Hartfield each had 16 points while freshman Garrett Covington had 14.
About Idaho State
• Idaho State enters the game with a 3-5 overall record and has won three straight games.
• Leading the Bengals is Jared Stutzman with 14.2 point per game and Balint Mocsan with 13.1 points per game.
Morse 2,000-Point Countdown
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,564 career points and needs 436 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 428 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• He needs 36 more points to become just fourth player in YSU's Division I history to record 1,600 points and the ninth player all-time.
• Morse also ranks tied 53rd on the Horizon Leauge all-time scoring list.
• He needs 28 points more to crack the top 50.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Hartfield Fifth In Scoring
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield ranks high on the Horizon League 2017-18 scoring list.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native ranks fifth with 15.4 points per game through 10 games.
• Hartfield has made eight of his last nine 3-point field-goal attempts and ranks fifth in the Horizon League with a .432 3-point percentage.
• He had a game-high 23 points against DePaul and tied a career high with five 3-pointers against the Blue Devils.
• He also dished out five assists.
Ferguson Net Career High
• Sophomore Jeremiah Ferguson scored a career-high 10 points against Northern Colorado on Nov. 24 then tied his career high against South Dakota on Nov. 26.
• It marks Ferguson's first double-figure scoring games of his career.
• Junior Tyree Robinson has been quite efficient on the floor.
• Robinson is averaging 8.1 points per game while playing just 11 minutes per contest.
• He is also shooting 62.8 percent (27-of-43) from the floor.
Hartfield Nets Career Highs
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield turned in a career night in the Penguins' loss to Canisius on Nov. 18.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native scored a career-high 33 points on 11-of-18 shooting from the field, including a career-high-tying five 3-pointers.
• His previous high was 22 points against Cleveland State in the first round of the 2017 Horizon League Championship.
Morse Named to Lou Henson Award Preseason Watch List
• Senior has been named to the 2017-18 Lou Henson Award Watch List.
• The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I mid-major player.
• Morse is one of four Horizon League players on the list.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its first win over Idaho State
• Mark Youngstown State's first win at Holt Arena.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 127th career win and his third at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,079th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 3-8 overall record.
• Mark YSU's first road win of the season.