Jan 19, 2018
|Youngstown State vs. IUPUI|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 20 @ 7 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | IUPUI Notes|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV/Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 294 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse became the 10th player school history to score 1,700 points and ranks 10th all-time with 1,706.
• Morse also needs 286 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer. The YSU Division I scoring record is 1,991 by set by Kendrick Perry (2010-14).
• Freshman Naz Bohannon became the first YSU freshman to post at least three double-double in season since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02.
• Over the last three games, Bohannon averaged 12 points and 11.3 rebounds per game and shot 46.9 percent from the field.
• Junior Tyree Robinson has made 22-of-38 field-goal attempts in Horizon League play for a FG% of .579.
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 953 points in his last 43 Horizon League games for an average of 22.2 points per game.
• Morse ranks in the YSU top 10 in 3-pointers made (3rd), points per game (7th) field goals made (9th), steals (9th), assists and scoring (10th). He's approaching top 10 FTs made.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield ranks 8th in the Horizon League in scoring (15.4), fifth in steals per game (1.5).
• The Penguins close out their two-game homestand and play their final home game in the month of January when they host Horizon League newcomer IUPUI, Saturday, Jan. 20.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
• The Penguins head back out on the road for a pair of games in the state of Wisconsin beginning with a matchup against Milwaukee, Thursday, Jan. 25.
• Tipoff is slated for 8 p.m. at the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins suffered a disappointing 92-78 setback to UIC on Jan. 18 at the Beeghly Center.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield led five players scoring in double figures and had a double-double with 25 points and 10 rebounds.
• Junior Devin Haygood had 13 points while freshman Naz Bohannon had 12, freshman Garrett Covington scored 11 and senior Cameron Morse added 10.
The IUPUI Series
• This is the 10th meeting between Youngstown State and a IUPUI in a series that dates back to 1975.
• It is the first contest between the schools since 2001.
• The Penguins own an 8-1 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two.
• The last time these teams met YSU won, 82-78, in the Beeghly Center on Jan. 27, 2001.
Morse 2,000-Point Countdown
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,696 career points and needs 294 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 286 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• He became the 10th player in school history to record 1,700 career points and ranks 10th with 1,706 points.
• Morse needs two more to move into ninth place past Quin Humphrey, who scored 1,707 points from 2003-07.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Covington Making Moves
• Freshman Garrett Covington continues to improve as the year goes on.
• Over the last five games, Covington averaged nine points per game and shot 61.5 percent (8-for-13) from 3-point range.
• He has scored in double figures eight times this year, including 17 points against Green Bay in an 85-74 win on Jan. 6.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its ninth win over IUPUI.
• Extend YSU's win streak over the Jaguars to three.
• Mark YSU's first win over the Jaguars since 2001.
• Mark YSU's ninth win over IUPUI in 10 games.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 130th career win and his sixth at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,082nd victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 6-15 overall record and a 4-4 mark in the Horizon League
• Mark YSU's fifth home win of the season.
Morse Climbing Charts
• Senior Cameron Morse has been climbing several YSU career statistical charts this season.
• Morse became just the second player in school history with at least 1,700 career points and 200 made 3-pointers.
• He ranks third all-time with 200 3s and 10th with 1,706 points.
• Morse also moved into the top 10 in career assists and career steals.
• He ranks ninth with 117 career steals and 10th with 290 career assists.
Bohannon Doublin' Up
• Freshman Naz Bohannon back-to-back double-doubles for the first time in his career with 11 points and a career-best 15 rebounds against Wright State on Jan. 15.
• He also posted the second double-double of his career with career bests in points (13) and rebounds (12) against Detroit Mercy on Jan. 12.
• He is the first YSU freshman to record at least three double-doubles in the same season since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02.
• Bohannon is the first YSU freshman since 2012-13 to post multiple double-doubles in the same season.
• The last freshman to do so was Bobby Hain.
• Junior Devin Haygood and freshman Naz Bohannon each posted double-doubles against Detroit Mercy on Jan. 12.
• It marked the first time since 2014 against South Dakota that two players posted double-doubles in the same game.
To Catch a Thief
• Youngstown State currently leads the Horizon League with 173 steals and 8.7 steals per game.
• The Penguins also rank 11th nationally in steals per game.
Hartfield Among League Leaders
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield ranks high in several Horizon League statistical categories.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native ranks fifth with 1.5 steals per game and tied for eighth with 15.4 points per game.
• He has 15 double figure scoring games this season and four of more than 20, including a career-high 33 against Canisius on Nov. 18.
• He scored a team-high 22 points in YSU's 80-77 win over Cleveland State on Jan. 1.