Posted: Jan 24, 2018
|Youngstown State Milwaukee|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 25 @ 8 p.m.|
|Location||UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena | Milwaukee, Wis.|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Milwaukee Notes|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 271 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse became the 10th player school history to score 1,700 points and ranks 8th all-time with 1,729.
• Morse also needs 263 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer. The YSU Division I scoring record is 1,991 by set by Kendrick Perry (2010-14).
• Freshman Naz Bohannon became the first YSU freshman to post at least three double-double in season since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02.
• Bohannon ranks third in Horizon League play with 8.9 rebounds per game. He also ranks sixth overall with 7.6 rpg.
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 976 points in his last 44 Horizon League games for an average of 22.2 points per game.
• Morse ranks in the YSU top 10 in 3-pointers made (2nd), points per game (t-6th), scoring (8th), field goals made (t-8th), steals (9th), assists and free throws made (10th).
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield ranks 8th in the Horizon League in scoring (15.3), third in steals per game (1.5).
• In league play, Morse and Hartfield rank
tied for fifth in scoring with 17.4 points per game.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team heads back out on the road for a pair of games in the state of Wisconsin beginning with a matchup against Milwaukee, Thursday, Jan. 25.
• Tipoff is slated for 8 p.m. at the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
• The Penguins close out the road trip against Green Bay, Saturday, Jan. 27, in Green Bay, Wis.
• Tipoff is slated for 1 p.m. ET at the Resch Center.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins snapped a four-game losing streak and picked up an 85-62 win over IUPUI on Jan. 20.
• Senior Cameron Morse led the Penguins with 23 points and four 3-pointers.
• Freshman Garrett Covington had 15 points while senior Jaylen Benton and sophomore Braun Hartfield each had 12 points.
• The Penguins, who had 10 3s, defeated a Horizon League opponent by 20-or-more points for the first time since a 77-47 win over Green Bay in 2012.
The Milwaukee Series
• This is the 43rd meeting between Youngstown State and Milwaukee in a series that dates back to 1972.
• The Panthers own a 30-12 advantage in the all-time series, but the Penguins have won two of the last three.
• The Penguins won the last meeting, 72-63, at the Beeghly Center on Jan. 4.
• The Panthers own a 16-4 advantage in games played in Milwaukee and have won the last four contests.
• The Penguins' last win in Milwaukee was 75-72 victory in 2013.
Last Time Against Milwaukee
• In the last game against Milwaukee, the Penguins came away with a 72-63 win at the Beeghly Center on Jan. 4.
• Senior Cameron Morse scored a game-high 25 points with five 3-pointers to lead the Penguins.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield scored 17 points.
• Freshman Garrett Covington scored eight points but locked down Milwaukee's leading scorer Brock Stull, who went 1-for-14 from the floor.
• After owning a two-point lead at halftime, the Penguins opened the second half on a 14-6 run to push the lead to 10, 44-34.
• A basket by Tyree Robinson gave the Penguins a game-high 11-point lead, 46-35, with 14:19 to go.
• Milwaukee, down nine with 6:07 left, went on a 7-0 run to get within two, 56-54, after a jumper by Bryce Nze.
• A layup by Hartfield and a three-point play by Robinson pushed the Penguins lead back to seven with three minutes left.
• After a bucket by Jeremiah Bell, Devin Haygood split a pair of free throws before Hartfield's 3-point dagger at the 1:27 mark put the game out of reach.
Morse Now in 8th Place on YSU Scoring List
• With 23 points against IUPUI on Jan. 20, senior Cameron Morse moved into eighth place on the YSU all-time scoring list with 1,729 career points.
• He also ranks third on the YSU Division I scoring chart.
• Morse needs 271 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 263 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Covington Making Moves
• Freshman Garrett Covington continues to improve as the year goes on.
• Over the last six games, Covington averaged 10 points per game and shot 51.3 percent (20-of-39) from the floor and 52.9 percent (9-for-17) from 3-point range.
• He has scored in double figures nine times this year, including 17 points against Green Bay in an 85-74 win on Jan. 6.
Bohannon Board Crashing
• Freshman Naz Bohannon is becoming one of the Horizon League's top rebounders.
• Over the last 12 games, Bohannon has grabbed 106 rebounds for an average of 8.8 per game.
• Bohannon ranks fifth in the Horizon League with 7.6 rebounds per game and is averaging 8.9 rebounds in league play, which ranks third.
• He has recorded at least six rebounds in 17 of 21 games.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 13th win over Milwaukee.
• Mark YSU's second straight win and the third in four games over the Panthers.
• Mark YSU's first win over the Panthers in Milwaukee since 2013.
• Mark YSU's first season sweep of the Panthers since 2013.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 131st career win and his seventh at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,083rd victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 7-15 overall record and a 5-4 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's second road win of the season.
• Match YSU's Horizon League win total from last season.
Morse Climbing Charts
• Senior Cameron Morse has been climbing several YSU career statistical charts this season.
• Morse became just the second player in school history with at least 1,700 career points and 200 made 3-pointers.
• He ranks second all-time with 204 3s and eighth with 1,729 points.
• Morse also moved into the top 10 in career assists and career steals.
• He ranks ninth with 119 career steals and 10th with 293 career assists.
Haygood Makin' Good
• Over the last four games, junior Devin Haygood has been increasing his offensive production.
• He is averaging 10.8 points and 7.0 rebounds per game while shooting 61.4 percent (21-of-34) from the field.
Bohannon Doublin' Up
• Freshman Naz Bohannon back-to-back double-doubles for the first time in his career with 11 points and a career-best 15 rebounds against Wright State on Jan. 15.
• He also posted the second double-double of his career with career bests in points (13) and rebounds (12) against Detroit Mercy on Jan. 12.
• He is the first YSU freshman to record at least three double-doubles in the same season since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02.
• Bohannon is the first YSU freshman since 2012-13 to post multiple double-doubles in the same season.
• The last freshman to do so was Bobby Hain.