Feb 18, 2018
|Youngstown State at Northern Kentucky|
|Date & Time||Monday, Feb. 19 @ 7:30 p.m.|
|Location||BB&T Arena | Highland Heights, Ky.|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Northern Kentucky Notes|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV/Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 131 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse became the 7th player school history to score 1,800 points and ranks 6th all-time with 1,869.
• Morse also needs 123 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer. The YSU Division I scoring record is 1,991 by set by Kendrick Perry (2010-14).
• Freshman Naz Bohannon became the first YSU freshman to post at least four double-double in season since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02.
• Bohannon ranks third in Horizon League play with 8.8 rebounds per game. He also ranks seventh overall with 7.9 rpg.
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,116 points in his last 52 Horizon League games for an average of 21.9 points per game.
• Morse ranks in the YSU top 10 in 3-pointers made (2nd), scoring (6th) points per game (7th), assists and free throws made (8th), field goals made (9th), steals (9th).
• Freshman Garrett Covington tied a career with 18 points, including a game-winning buzzer beater, against Oakland on Feb. 14.
• In league play, Morse ranks fifth in scoring with 17.4 points per game.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team plays their final road game of the regular season against Northern Kentucky, Monday, Feb. 19.
• Tipoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. at BB&T Arena in Highland Heights, Ky.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
• The Penguins close out the regular season and celebrate Senior Night against Cleveland State, Saturday, Feb. 24.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at the Beeghly Center
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
Last Time Out
•The Penguins are coming off a disappointing 94-84 home loss to Detroit Mercy on Feb. 16.
• Senior Cameron Morse and junior Tyree Robinson each had 17 points while freshman Naz Bohannon posted his fourth double-double of the year with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
• Senior Jaylen Benton also added 11 points.
• The Titans shot 59.4 percent from the field in the second half, while the Penguins shot 50 percent from the floor for the game.
The Northern Kentucky Series
• This is the 17th meeting between Youngstown State and Northern Kentucky in a series that dates back to 1976.
• The Penguins own a 10-6 advantage in the all-time series, but the Norse have won the last two contests.
• In the first meeting this season, NKU was victorious, 95-85, at the Beeghly Center on Feb. 1.
Covington Ties Career-Scoring High
• Freshman Garrett Covington turned tied a career-scoring high with 18 points on 7-of-14 shooting from the field against Oakland on Feb. 14.
• Covington hit the game-winning shot with 0.1 seconds left and scored seven of the game's final nine points.
• Covington also limited Kendrick Nunn, the nation's second-leading scorer, to just 18 points - eight points below his season average - on 6-of-14 shooting from the field.
• Against IUPUI and Oakland, Covington averaged 16 points per game on 12-of-21 (57.1 percent) shooting from the field and 4-of-5 (80 percent) from 3-point range.
200, 2K Streaks Extend
• Youngstown State has extended a couple of impressive offensive streak over the last two games.
• Now with 2,194 points scored this season, YSU has extended its streak of 2,000-point campaigns to nine.
• The Penguins made five 3-pointers against Detroit Mercy on Feb. 16 to reach 211 made 3-pointers this season and pushed their streak of at least 200 made 3s in a season to eight.
Morse Named Player of the Week
• For the second time this season and the fourth time in his career, Youngstown State senior Cameron Morse has been named the Horizon League Men's Basketball Player of the Week.
• Morse averaged 27 points and four assists while shooting 50 percent from the field (16-for-32), 47.6 percent from 3-point range (10-for-21), and went 12-for-12 from the free throw line as Youngstown State split a pair of road games.
Morse Now in 6th Place on YSU Scoring List
• With 28 points against IUPUI on Feb. 10, senior Cameron Morse moved into sixth place on the YSU all-time scoring list and now has 1,869 career points.
• Morse became just the seventh player in school history to reach 1,800 points after scoring 26 at UIC on Feb. 8.
• He also ranks second on the YSU Division I scoring chart.
• Morse needs 131 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 123 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Penguins Third in 3-Point Shooting in League Play
• Over the last 16 games, Youngstown State has been one of the top 3-point shooting team in the Horizon League.
• The Penguins rank third in the league with a .372 3-point percentage and rank fifth with 8.0 3-pointers made per game.
• YSU also leads the league with 14.0 offensive rebounds per game
Morse In Elite 3-Point Company
• With 74 3-pointers this season, senior Cameron Morse is just the second player in school history to have multiple seasons of at least 70 made 3s.
• Morse's 76 3s made last season rank sixth on the single-season list.
• His 72 this season rank seventh on the chart.
• The other is Blake Allen, who had 94 in 2012-13 and 91 in 2011-12.
Bohannon Board Crashing
• Freshman Naz Bohannon is becoming one of the Horizon League's top rebounders.
• Over the last 20 games, Bohannon has grabbed 176 rebounds for an average of 8.8 per game.
• Bohannon ranks seventh in the Horizon League with 7.9 rebounds per game and is averaging 8.8 rebounds in league play, which ranks third.
• He has recorded six double-digit rebound games and had at least six rebounds in 24 of 29 games.
• Bohannon's 230 rebounds are the most since Bobby Hain's 238 in 2014-15.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 11th win over Northern Kentucky.
• Mark the first win over Northern Kentucky in Highland Heights since 1981.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 133rd career win and his ninth at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,085th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 9-21 overall record and a 7-10 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's third road win of the season.
• Mark YSU's most Horizon League wins since 2012-13.