Posted: Nov 23, 2017
|Youngstown State vs. Northern Colorado|
|Date & Time||Friday, Nov. 24 @ 9 p.m.|
|Location||Sanford Pentagon |Sioux Falls, S.D.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 521 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse, a two-time All-Horizon League selection, also needs 513 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer.
• Senior guard Francisco Santiago ranks tied for eighth in school history with 304 career assists. He became the ninth player in school history with 300 assists in a career.
• YSU set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14. YSU also tied the mark for most field-goal attempts.
• According to College Basketball Reference, freshman Garrett Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it. Covington had 16 points, tied a school record with seven steals and had eight assists.
• Freshman Michael Akuchie scored a career-high 28 points vs Franciscan. It's the most by a YSU freshman since Tim Jackson had 31 against Eastern Kentucky on Feb. 27, 1988.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield set a career-scoring high with 33 points against Canisius on Nov. 18. He also tied a career high with five 3-pointers.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team will play three games in three days at the Sanford Pentagon Showcase, Nov 24-26, in Sioux Falls, S.D.
• YSU opens the showcase against Northern Colorado on Nov. 24 at 9 p.m.
• On Saturday, the Penguins take on Southern Miss at 5 p.m. and will take on South Dakota, Sunday, at 3 p.m. on Fox Sports North,
• All games will be broadcast on 570-AM WKBN.
• The Penguins return home to host Robert Morris in their final home non-league game of the year, Wednesday, Nov. 29.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins are coming off a 91-83 win over Westminster on Nov. 21 at the Beeghly Center.
• It marked a career high for Covington, who made 8-of-10 shooting from the floor.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield had 12 points while junior Devin Haygood posted the first double-double of his career with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
The Northern Colorado Series
• This is the first meeting between Youngstown State and Northern Colorado.
The Southern Miss Series
• This is the first meeting between Youngstown State and Southern Mississippi.
The South Dakota Series
• This is the third meeting between Youngstown State and South Dakota.
• The Penguins own a 2-0 advantage in the all-time series.
Morse 2,000-Point Countdown
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,479 career points and needs 521 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 513 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Hartfield Nets Career Highs
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield turned in a career night in the Penguins' loss to Canisius on Nov. 18.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native scored a career-high 31 points on 11-of-18 shooting from the field, including a career-high-tying five 3-pointers.
• His previous high was 22 points against Cleveland State in the first round of the 2017 Horizon League Championship.
Morse Named to Lou Henson Award Preseason Watch List
• Senior has been named to the 2017-18 Lou Henson Award Watch List.
• The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I mid-major player.
• Morse is one of four Horizon League players on the list.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its first win over Northern Colorado.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 127th career win and his third at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,079th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 3-2 overall record.
• Mark YSU's first neutral site win of the season.
Cisco Dishes 300
• With three assists against Canisius, senior Francisco Santiago became the ninth player in school history to record at least 300 career assists.
• He ranks tied for eighth all-time with 304 and needs one more to move into sole possession of eighth place.
Covington Continues to Impresses
• Freshman Garrett Covington has had an impressive start to his first campaign after four games.
• He's averaging 12 points and 3.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game while shooting 72 percent from the floor.
• He posted a career-high 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting against Westminster on Nov. 21.
• Against Franciscan on Nov. 14, Covington scored 16 points with five rebounds, eight assists and seven steals.
• His steals tied the school's single-game record.
• According to College Basketball Reference, Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it.
• Covington went 5-for-5 from the field with two 3s and 4-for-4 from the free-throw line.
• On the season, he is 18-of-25 from the floor.