Posted: Feb 15, 2018
|Youngstown State vs. Detroit Mercy|
|Date & Time||Friday, Feb. 16 @ 7 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Detroit Mercy Notes|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV/Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 148 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse became the 7th player school history to score 1,800 points and ranks 6th all-time with 1,852.
• Morse also needs 140 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer. The YSU Division I scoring record is 1,991 by set by Kendrick Perry (2010-14).
• Freshman Naz Bohannon became the first YSU freshman to post at least three double-double in season since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02.
• Bohannon ranks third in Horizon League play with 8.7 rebounds per game. He also ranks tied for fifrth overall with 7.9 rpg.
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,099 points in his last 51 Horizon League games for an average of 21.5 points per game.
• Morse ranks in the YSU top 10 in 3-pointers made (2nd), scoring (6th) points per game (7th), assists and free throws made (8th), field goals made (9th), steals (9th).
• Freshman Garrett Covington tied a career with 18 points, including a game-winning buzzer beater, against Oakland on Feb. 14.
• In league play, Morse ranks fifth in scoring with 17.5 points per game.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team closes out their short homestand against Detroit Mercy, Friday, Feb. 16.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
• The Penguins play their final road game of the regular season against Northern Kentucky, Monday, Feb. 19.
• Tipoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. at BB&T Arena in Highland Heights, Ky.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
Last Time Out
• Freshman Garrett Covington hit a put-back jumper with 0.1 seconds remaining to lift the Penguins past Oakland, 75-73, on Feb. 14.
• Covington tied a career high with 18 points and scored seven of YSU's final nine points.
• The Penguins trailed the Golden Grizzlies, 73-66, with 2:30 left and scored the game's final nine points.
• Senior Cameron Morse scored 23 points and drilled four 3-pointers to lead the Penguins offensively.
The Detroit Mercy Series
• This is the 47th meeting between Youngstown State and Detroit Mercy in a series that dates back to 1953.
• The Titans own a 37-9 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last 10 meetings.
• The last time the Penguins defeated the Titans was a 77-63 victory at the Beeghly Center in 2014.
• The Titans have won the last three games at the Beeghly Center.
Covington Ties Career-Scoring High
• Freshman Garrett Covington turned tied a career-scoring high with 18 points on 7-of-14 shooting from the field against Oakland on Feb. 14.
• Covington hit the game-winning shot with 0.1 seconds left and scored seven of the game's final nine points.
• Covington also limited Kendrick Nunn, the nation's second-leading scorer, to just 18 points - eight points below his season average - on 6-of-14 shooting from the field.
• Over the last two games, Covington averaged 16 points per game on 12-of-21 (57.1 percent) shooting from the field and 4-of-5 (80 percent) from 3-point range.
Morse Named Player of the Week
• For the second time this season and the fourth time in his career, Youngstown State senior Cameron Morse has been named the Horizon League Men's Basketball Player of the Week.
• Morse averaged 27 points and four assists while shooting 50 percent from the field (16-for-32), 47.6 percent from 3-point range (10-for-21), and went 12-for-12 from the free throw line as Youngstown State split a pair of road games.
Morse Now in 6th Place on YSU Scoring List
• With 28 points against IUPUI on Feb. 10, senior Cameron Morse moved into sixth place on the YSU all-time scoring list and now has 1,852 career points, passing Reggie Kemp, who has 1,821 from 1988-93.
• Morse became just the seventh player in school history to reach 1,800 points after scoring 26 at UIC on Feb. 8.
• He also ranks second on the YSU Division I scoring chart.
• Morse needs 148 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 140 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Penguins Third in 3-Point Shooting in League Play
• Over the last 15 games, Youngstown State has been one of the top 3-point shooting team in the Horizon League.
• The Penguins rank third in the league with a .379 3-point percentage and rank fifth with 8.2 3-pointers made per game.
• YSU also leads the league with 14.3 offensive rebounds per game
Bohannon Board Crashing
• Freshman Naz Bohannon is becoming one of the Horizon League's top rebounders.
• Over the last 19 games, Bohannon has grabbed 166 rebounds for an average of 8.8 per game.
• Bohannon ranks fifth in the Horizon League with 7.9 rebounds per game and is averaging 8.7 rebounds in league play, which ranks fourth.
• He has recorded five double-digit rebound games and had at least six rebounds in 23 of 28 games.
• Bohannon's 220 rebounds are the most since Bobby Hain's 238 in 2014-15.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 10th win over Detroit Mercy.
• Mark the first win over Detroit Mercy at the Beeghly Center since 2014.
• Snap a 10-game losing streak to the Titans.
• Mark the Penguins' second three-game winning streak of the season.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 133rd career win and his ninth at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,085th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 9-20 overall record and a 7-9 mark in the Horizon League.
• Mark YSU's seventh home win of the season.
• Mark YSU's most Horizon League wins since 2012-13.