Posted: Jan 03, 2018
|Youngstown State vs. Milwaukee|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 4 @ 7:35 p.m. EDT|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | UWM Notes|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV/Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Youngtown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 397 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse became the 10th player school history to score 1,600 points and ranks 10th all-time with 1,603.
• Morse also needs 389 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer. The YSU Division I scoring record is 1,991 by set by Kendrick Perry (2010-14).
• Freshman Naz Bohannon recorded the first double-double of his career with 10 points and 10 rebounds against Indiana on Dec. 29. He is the seventh YSU freshman to post a double-double since 2004.
• YSU set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14. YSU also tied the mark for most field-goal attempts.
• According to College Basketball Reference, freshman Garrett Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it. Covington had 16 points, tied a school record with seven steals and had eight assists vs. Franciscan.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield set a career-scoring high with 33 points against Canisius on Nov. 18.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball returns to the Beeghly Center for the first time since Nov. 29, 2017, when they host Horizon League foe Milwaukee, Thursday, Jan. 4.
• Tipoff is slated for 7:35 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
• The Penguins conclude their short two-game home stand against Green Bay, Saturday, Jan. 6.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins snapped a nine-game losing streak and picked up its first league win of the year with an 80-77 win over Cleveland State on Jan. 1.
• Senior Cameron Morse, who had 13 points and 11 assists, hit a last-second 3-pointer to lift the Penguins to the win.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield led the Penguins with 22 points while junior Tyree Robinson had 14 points on 7-of-8 made field goals.
The Milwaukee Series
• This is the 42nd meeting between Youngstown State and Milwaukee in a series that dates back to 1972.
• The Panthers own a 30-11 advantage in the all-time series.
• Last season, the Penguins defeated the Panthers, 88-87, in double overtime at the Beeghly Center, and lost, 94-85, in overtime in Milwaukee.
Morse 2,000-Point Countdown
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,603 career points and needs 397 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 389 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• He became just fourth player in YSU's Division I history to record 1,600 points and the 10th player all-time.
• Morse is the 48th player in Horizon League history to score at least 1,600 career points and ranks tied for 47th on the Horizon League all-time scoring list.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
To Catch a Thief
• Youngstown State currently leads the Horizon League with 126 steals and 9.0 steals per game.
• The Penguins also rank 15th nationally in steals per game.
Hartfield Among League Leaders
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield ranks high inn several Horizon League statisical categories.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native ranks second with a .415 3-point field-goal percentage, third with 1.6 steals per game and eighth with 14.4 points per game.
• He has 11 double figure scoring games this season and three of more than 20, including a career-high 33 against Canisius on Nov. 18.
• He scored a team-high 22 points in YSU's 80-77 win over Cleveland State on Jan. 1.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 12th win over Milwaukee.
• Mark Youngstown State's second straight Horizon League win.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 128th career win and his fourth at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,080th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 4-11 overall record and a 2-0 mark in the Horizon League
• Mark YSU's third home win of the season.
• Junior Tyree Robinson has been quite efficient on the floor.
• Robinson is averaging 8.5 points per game while playing just 11.5 minutes per contest.
• He is also shooting 66.2 percent (47-of-71) from the floor.
• His field-goal percentage ranks second in the Horizon League.
• Robinson posted 14 points on 7-of-8 shooting from the floor against Cleveland State on Jan. 1.
• He has made 10 of his last 12 field-goal attempts and is averaging 10.5 points per game over the last two contests.
Bohannon Board Crashing
• Freshman Naz Bohannon turned in the first double-double of the year against Indiana on Dec. 29.
• Bohannon scored a career-high 10 points to go along with a career-high 10 rebounds against the Hoosiers.
• He followed that up with 10 points and nine rebounds against Cleveland State on Jan. 1.
• Bohannon ranks seventh in the Horizon League with seven rebounds per game and is averaging 8.8 rebounds per game over the last five contests.
Benton Making Moves
• Since the start of December, senior Jaylen Benton has played some of his best basketball.
• Over the last six games, Benton is averaging 8.7 points and 3.8 assists per game while shooting 46.2 percent from 3-point percentage.
• Benton scored a career-high 13 points with a career-best three 3-pointers and dished out four assists.
• He added 11 points and tied a career high with three 3s against Cleveland State on Jan. 1.
Ferguson Net Career High
• Sophomore Jeremiah Ferguson scored a career-high 10 points against Northern Colorado on Nov. 24 then tied his career high against South Dakota on Nov. 26.
• It marks Ferguson's first double-figure scoring games of his career.
Hartfield Nets Career Highs
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield turned in a career night in the Penguins' loss to Canisius on Nov. 18.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native scored a career-high 33 points on 11-of-18 shooting from the field, including a career-high-tying five 3-pointers.
• His previous high was 22 points against Cleveland State in the first round of the 2017 Horizon League Championship.
Morse Named to Lou Henson Award Preseason Watch List
• Senior has been named to the 2017-18 Lou Henson Award Watch List.
• The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I mid-major player.
• Morse is one of four Horizon League players on the list.
Covington Continues to Impresses
• Freshman Garrett Covington has had an impressive start to his first campaign.
• He posted a career-high 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting against Westminster on Nov. 21, 14 against Butler on Dec. 9 and had 12 points against Robert Morris on Nov. 29.
• Against Franciscan on Nov. 14, Covington scored 16 points with five rebounds, eight assists and seven steals.
• His steals tied the school's single-game record.
• According to College Basketball Reference, Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it.
• Covington went 5-for-5 from the field with two 3s and 4-for-4 from the free-throw line.
• On the season, he is averaging 7.6 points per game and has made 39-of-81 from the floor for a .481 field-goal percentage