Posted: Nov 20, 2017
|Youngstown State vs. Westminster|
|Date & Time||Tuesday, Nov. 21 @ 7 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Younstown State Storylines
• First-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun became the program's 13th head coach on March 28, 2017.
• Senior guard Cameron Morse needs just 539 more points to become the third player in program history to record 2,000 points in a career.
• Morse, a two-time All-Horizon League selection, also needs 531 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer.
• Senior guard Francisco Santiago ranks ninth in school history with 302 career assists. He became the ninth player in school history with 300 assists in a career.
• YSU set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14. YSU also tied the mark for most field-goal attempts.
• According to College Basketball Reference, freshman Garrett Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it. Covington had 16 points, tied a school record with seven steals and had eight assists.
• Freshman Michael Akuchie scored a career-high 28 points vs Franciscan. It's the most by a YSU freshman since Tim Jackson had 31 against Eastern Kentucky on Feb. 27, 1988.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield set a career-scoring high with 33 points against Canisius on Nov. 18. He also tied a career high with five 3-pointers.
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team returns home to host Westminster, Tuesday, Nov. 21, at the Beeghly Center and is part of the Sanford Pentagon Showcase.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on 570-AM WKBN and ESPN3.
• The Penguins will play three games in three days at the Sanford Pentagon Showcase, Nov 24-26, in Sioux Falls, S.D.
• YSU opens the showcase against Northern Colorado on Nov. 24 at 9 p.m.
• On Saturday, the Penguins take on Southern Miss at 5 p.m. and will take on South Dakota, Sunday, at 3 p.m.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins are coming off a 104-84 loss at Canisius on Nov. 18.
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield scored a career-high 31 points on 11-of-18 shooting from the field, including a career-high-tying five 3-pointers.
The Westminster Series
• This is the 49th meeting between Youngstown State and Westminster in a series that dates back to 1928.
• Westminster leads the all-time series, 29-19, but the Penguins have won the last two games.
• Youngstown State won 14 straight between 1957 and 1977.
• Last year, the Penguins won, 97-67, at the Beeghly Center.
Morse 2,000-Point Countdown
• Senior Cameron Morse has scored 1,461 career points and needs 539 points to become the third player in school history to score 2,000 career points.
• Morse also needs 531 points to become YSU's Division I all-time leading scorer with 1,992 points.
• Last season, Morse scored 711 points and had 608 as a sophomore.
Hartfield Nets Career Highs
• Sophomore Braun Hartfield turned in a career night in the Penguins' loss to Canisius on Nov. 18.
• The Cleveland, Ohio, native scored a career-high 31 points on 11-of-18 shooting from the field, including a career-high-tying five 3-pointers.
• His previous high was 22 points against Cleveland State in the first round of the 2017 Horizon League Championship.
Record Setting Night
• The Penguins set single-game records for most points (134), steals (37) and margin of victory (88) in its win over Franciscan.
• Youngstown State also tied the school record for most field-goal attempts with 104 and its 56 field goals made is tied for the second most in a single game.
• The Penguins' 73 points in the second half are the third-highest total in a half in school history and the most since YSU scoring 74 in the first half against Point Park in 1990.
Morse Named to Lou Henson Award Preseason Watch List
• Senior has been named to the 2017-18 Lou Henson Award Watch List.
• The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I mid-major player.
• Morse is one of four Horizon League players on the list.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 20th win over Westminster.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 126th career win and his second at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,078th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 2-2 overall record.
• Mark YSU's second home win of the season.
Cisco Dishes 300
• With three assists against Canisius, senior Francisco Santiago became the ninth player in school history to record at least 300 career assists.
• He ranks ninth all-time with 302 and needs three more to move into eighth place.
Akuckie Nets Most Points By a Freshman in 29 Years
• Freshman Michael Akuchie scored a career-high 28 points on 11-of-16 field-goal attempts in YSU's 134-46 win over Franciscan on Nov. 14.
• It's the most by a YSU freshman since Tim Jackson had 31 against Eastern Kentucky on Feb. 27, 1988.
• Freshman Garrett Covington has had an impressive start to his first campaign against Franciscan on Nov. 14.
• Covington scored a career-high 16 points with five rebounds, eight assists and seven steals.
• His steals tied the school's single-game record.
• According to College Basketball Reference, Covington is the fourth player since 2010 to have 7+ steals and a 100% FG% in a game, and the first to score double-digits while doing it.
• Covington went 5-for-5 from the field with two 3s and 4-for-4 from the free-throw line.
• On the season, he is 7-of-9 from the floor for 77.8 percent.
• Junior Tyree Robinson has been quite efficient on the floor.
• Robinson is averaging 13 points in just 11.5 minutes per game.
• He is also shooting 81.3 percent (13-of-16) from the floor.
Penguins Sign Three During Early Signing Period
• Youngstown State signed three players to National Letters of Intent during the 2017-18 early signing period.
• The Penguins added guards Darius Quisenberry (Huber Heights, Ohio), Jelani Simmons (Columbus, Ohio) and Atiba Taylor (Hackensack, N.J.).
• Quisenberry averaged 14.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game last season while Simmons posted averages of 15 points per game, 6.0 rebounds per game and 5.0 assists per game.
• Taylor, a three-star recruit, averaged 17 points, six assists, five rebounds and three steals per game.
Morse Climbing 1,000-Point Chart
• Last season, senior Cameron Morse became the 37th player in school history to reach 1,000 career points when he scored 13 against Northern Kentucky on Jan. 5, 2017.
• Morse now ranks 13th all-time with 1,461 career points.
• He needs 20 more points to move into 12th on the all-time list.
• Morse was also the eighth YSU player to score 1,000 career points since 2005.