The Youngstown State men's basketball season concluded recently and the 2018-19 campaign was one of marked improvement.
The Penguins finished with a four-win improvement, and their eight wins in the Horizon League tied for the second-most victories in conference play since joining the league in 2001-02.
Below is a list of team and individual accomplishments throughout the 2018-19 season:
- The Penguins set a program record with 303 made 3-pointers, marking the first time in program history a team has made at least 300 3s in season. The 2018-19 squad broke the old record of 270, set in 2011-12, by 33. It also marked the ninth straight year YSU made at least 200 3-pointers in a season.
- YSU's 210 steals marked the second straight season and the third time in the last four years the Penguins have recorded at least 200 steals.
- The Penguins' 2,415 points are the fifth most in school history and mark the 10th straight season YSU has scored at least 2,000 points in a year.
- The 2018-19 season also featured a six-game winning streak, which was the longest winning streak in YSU's Horizon League history and the longest streak since 1997-98. Part of the six-game winning streak were final-seconds, game-winning shots against Detroit Mercy (Feb. 2), Milwaukee (Feb. 7) and IUPUI (Feb. 14).
- Freshman Darius Quisenberry posted the best freshman season since the Penguins joined the Division I ranks in 1981-82. Quisenberry was named All-Horizon League Second-Team after leading the Penguins with 13.8 points per game and 441 total points. He also led the Penguins with 120 assists and 43 steals. Qusienberry was also named to the All-Freshman Team.
- His 441 points were the most scored by a YSU freshman since 1978-79, and he set the YSU freshman 3-point record with 51.
- Sophomore Naz Bohannon increased his offensive production and ranked second in the Horizon League with 8.3 rebounds per game. Bohannon also recorded the 500th rebound of his career against Oakland in the quarterfinals of the Horizon League Tournament. In two seasons, Bohannon has grabbed 501 rebounds.
- Sophomore Garrett Covington was named to the Horizon League All-Defensive Team. Covington recorded 33 steals while averaging 10.7 points per game. Covington is the first YSU player to be named to the All-Defensive Team since Kendrick Perry is 2013-14.
- Junior Devin Morgan led the Penguins with 60 3-pointers made and scored the 1,000th point of his career on Jan. 19 against Northern Kentucky. Morgan, who scored 294 points in 2018-19, enters his senior campaign with a career total of 1,127 points.
- Senior Noe Anabir was named to the Horizon League Men's Basketball All-Academic Team after posting a 3.95 cumulative grade-point averge.
- Freshman Jelani Simmons also posted an impressive rookie campaign averaging 8.1 points and 2.5 rebounds per game. Simmons led the team and ranked fifth in the Horizon League with a .402 3-point percentage.