Dec 14, 2018
|Youngstown State at Binghamton|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Dec. 15 | 2 p.m.|
|Location||Dr. Bai Lee Court at Events Center | Vestal, N.Y.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | Watch ESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | BU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• After finals week, the Penguins get back on the road to face Binghamton, Saturday, Dec. 15, at 2 p.m.
Youngstown State closes out the non-Horizon League portion of its schedule when in takes on in-state and nationally-ranked Ohio State, Tuesday, Dec. 18, at 7 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 135-70 overall and is 11-32 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Tommy Dempsey is in his seventh season as the head coach at Binghamton and his 17th season overall as a head coach. Dempsey owns a career record of 257-261 and a 50-144 record at Binghamton.
Storylines and Notes
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. Over the last four games, Bohannon averaged 11.8 rebounds per game.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. Over the last three games, Covington averaged 20.3 points and 7.3 rebounds per game and shot 55.8 percent from the floor.
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers made against Robert Morris on Nov. 28. He also led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points with seven 3s in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. His seven 3-pointers are tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016. Hampton is just the sixth player in school history to record multiple games of at least seven 3-pointers made.
• The Penguins have made at least 10 3-pointers five times this season and have made at least eight 3s in a game on 10 occasions.
• In Youngstown State's 11 games, the Penguins have had five different leading scorers. Sophomore Garrett Covington has led the Penguins four times, while junior Kendale Hampton has led the Penguins three times. Donel Cathcart III was tops in scoring twice while junior Devin Morgan and freshman Olamide Pedersen have all led in scoring once.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington and junior Devin Morgan scored 26 and 25 points, respectively, against Central Michigan. It marked the second time his season a pair of YSU players scored at least 20 points in the same game. Junior Donel Cathcart III and freshman Darius Quisenberry each scored career highs with 27 and 21 points, respectively, against FIU on Nov. 18. It marked the first time two player reached at least 20 points in the same game since Feb. 24, 2018.
• The Penguins close out the non-league portion of the slate at Ohio State, Tuesday, Dec. 18, at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and The Big Ten Network.
• Binghamton enters the game with a 3-6 overall record and is coming off a 74-66 loss to Morgan State on Dec. 5.
• Sam Sessoms leads the Bearcats with 18.3 points per game and J.C. Snow is averaging 12.1 points per game.
• As a team, the Bearcats average 72.4 points per contest and allow 74 points per game.
The Binghamton Series
• This is the first meeting between Youngstown State and Binghamton.
Covington on a Hot Streak
• Over the last three games, sophomore Garrett Covington has played some good basketball.
• Over that span, he averaged 20.3 points and 7.3 rebounds per game and shot 55.8 percent from the floor.
• He posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• He also scored 20 points against West Virginia on Dec. 1.
Bohannon Board Beast
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon was one of the top rebounders in the Horizon League last season with 8.1 boards per game.
• He is picking up right where he left off with 9.7 rebounds per game this season, which leads the Horizon League.
• In his 43-game career, Bohannon has 366 rebounds for an average of 8.5 rebounds per game.
• Bohannon also ranks second in the country with 4.6 offensive rebounds per game and is 11th with 107 total rebounds.
YSU Tops on the Glass
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Youngstown State ranks third in the nation in total rebounds with 465.
• The Penguins also rank fourth nationally with 15.8 offensive rebounds per game.