Posted: Jan 25, 2019
|Youngstown State at Cleveland State|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 26 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Wolstein Center | Cleveland, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | CSU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State returns to the road for three straight Horizon League away contests beginning with a matchup against Cleveland State, Saturday, Jan. 26, at 7 p.m.
The Penguins head to the Motor City for a pair of games starting against Oakland, Thursday, Jan. 31, at 7 p.m.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 138-77 overall and is 14-39 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Dennis Felton is in his second season on Cleveland State's sidelines and his 13th season overall as a head coach. Felton, who has a 17-39 mark at Cleveland State, owns a career record of 201-184.
• Youngstown State's 25-point win over Milwaukee on Jan. 5 was the largest margin of victory in a true road game in YSU's Division I era (1981-82). It's also the largest margin of victory in a true road game since 1979 (39) at Ashland. The 14 points allowed by the Penguins in the first half against the Panthers are the fewest since they gave up 14 to Georgia on Nov. 12, 2012. The Division I school record for fewest points allowed in a first half is 11 against Southern Utah on Feb. 5, 1998.
• This is the 92nd meeting between Youngstown State and Cleveland State in a series that dates back to 1930. The Vikings own a 48-43 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two contests. Last season, the Penguins defeated the Vikings, 80-77, in Cleveland, Ohio, while the Vikings won, 99-94, in double overtime at the Beeghly Center and 72-71 in the first round of the Horizon League Championships in Little Caesar's Arena.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry has been superb in Horizon League play. Quisenberry is averaging 15.9 points, 3.9 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 1.8 steals per game. He has scored in double figures in seven of eight games and owns an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.6. He's also scored at least 20 points in three Horizon League games.
• Youngstown State visits Oakland, Thursday, Jan. 31, at the O'Rena in Rochester, Mich.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
About Cleveland State
• Cleveland State enters the game with an overall record of 5-16 and a 0-8 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Vikings have lost eight straight and nine of the last 10 games.
• Leading the Vikings is sophomore Tyree Appleby with 17.4 points per game and Stefan Kenic with 10.5 points per contest.
The Cleveland State Series
• This is the 92nd meeting between Youngstown State and Cleveland State in a series that dates back to 1930.
• The Vikings own a 48-43 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two contests.
• Last season, the Penguins defeated the Vikings, 80-77, in Cleveland, Ohio, while the Vikings won, 99-94, in double overtime at the Beeghly Center and 72-71 in the first round of the Horizon League Championships in Little Caesar's Arena.
• The last three games between Youngstown State and Cleveland State have been decided by a total of nine points.
Last time Out
• The Penguins dropped a tough 82-74 decision to Northern Kentucky on Jan. 19.
• Junior Donel Cathcart III led four Penguins scoring in double figures with 16 points.
• Junior Antwan Maxwell scored a season-high 13 points while Garrett Covington and Darius Quisenberry added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 44th win over Cleveland State.
• Snap a two-game losing streak to the Vikings.
• Mark YSU's second straight win over the Vikings at the Wolstein Center and the third win in the last four years in Cleveland.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 139th career win and his 15th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,091st victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 7-15 overall record and a 3-6 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark YSU's fourth road win of the season.