Mar 01, 2019
|Youngstown State vs. Cleveland State|
|Date & Time||Saturday, March 2 | 6 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center |Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | CSU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State plays its regular-season finale and celebrates Senior Night when it hosts in-state rival Cleveland State, Saturday, March 2. Tipoff is slated for 6 p.m. at the Beeghly Center. The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
The Penguins will participate in the 2019 Little Caesar's Horizon League Men's Basketball Tournament, March 5 or 6. YSU's opponent and seeding are yet to be determined.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 144-80 overall and is 20-42 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Dennis Felton is in his second season on Cleveland State's sidelines and his 13th season overall as a head coach. Felton, who has a 21-44 mark at Cleveland State, owns a career record of 205-189.
• For the three straight weeks, freshman Darius Quisenberry was named the Horizon League Freshman of the Week. He earned the award on Feb. 4, Feb. 11, and Feb. 18. During that time, Quisenberry averaged 20.5 points, 3.0 rebounds, 5.2 assists, and 2.2 steals per game. He also shot 45.9 percent from the floor and 85 percent from the free-throw line. Quisenberry scored a career-high 37 points on 10-of-19 shooting from the floor, including three 3s, and 14-of-16 from the free-throw line in the win over UIC on Feb. 16.
• This is the 93rd meeting between Youngstown State and Cleveland State in a series that dates back to 1930. The Vikings own a 49-43 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last three contests. Earlier this season, Cleveland State defeated YSU, 72-62, at the Wolstein Center on Jan. 26. Last season, the Penguins defeated the Vikings, 80-77, in Cleveland, Ohio, while the Vikings won, 99-94, in double overtime at the Beeghly Center, and 72-71 in the first round of the Horizon League Championships in Little Caesar's Arena.
• Youngstown State will play on the road in the 2019 Little Caesar's Horizon League Championship Quarterfinals, March 5 or 6, at a site and time yet to be determined.
About Cleveland State
• Cleveland State enters the game with a 9-21 overall record and a 4-13 mark in the Horizon League.
• Leading the Vikings is sophomore Tyree Appleby wiht 16.9 points and 5.2 assists per game.
• Rashad Williams and Jaalam Hill are averaging 10.9 and 10.8 points per game, respectively.
Last Time Against CSU
• In the first meeting this season, Cleveland State defeated the Penguins, 72-62, on Jan. 26, at the Wolstein Center.
• Junior Devin Morgan led the Penguins with 17 points while sophomore Naz Bohannon posted a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds.
The Cleveland State Series
• This is the 93rd meeting between Youngstown State and Cleveland State in a series that dates back to 1930.
• The Vikings own a 49-43 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last three contests.
• Earlier this season, Cleveland State defeated YSU, 72-62, at the Wolstein Center on Jan. 26.
• Last season, the Penguins defeated the Vikings, 80-77, in Cleveland, Ohio, while the Vikings won, 99-94, in double overtime at the Beeghly Center, and 72-71 in the first round of the Horizon League Championships in Little Caesar's Arena.
Last time Out
• Sophomore Michael Akuchie was the only player to reach double figures in an 82-54 loss at Wright State on Feb. 23.
• Akuchie hit a career-high four 3-pointers against the Raiders.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 44th win over Cleveland State.
• Snap a three-game losing streak to the Vikings.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 145th career win and his 21st at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,097th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 13-18 overall record and a 9-9 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark the second time the Penguins posted a .500 record in Horizon League play. The last time was in 2011-12 when YSU went 10-8 in league play.
• Mark YSU's second-most Horizon League wins in a season with nine.
• Mark YSU's seventh home win of the season.
• Mark YSU's fifth Horizon League home victory of the season.