Posted: Feb 08, 2019
|Youngstown State vs. Green Bay|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Feb. 9 | 6 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Green Bay Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State welcomes Green Bay in the second of four straight Horizon League home games, Saturday, Feb. 9, at 6 p.m.
Next week, the Penguins host IUPUI, Thursday, Feb. 14, at 7 p.m. YSU closed out its homestand against UIC, Saturday, Feb. 16, at 6 p.m.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 141-78 overall and is 17-40 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Linc Darner is in his fourth season as head coach at Green Bay and in his 17th overall as a head coach. He carries a 358-176 career record and owns a 66-59 mark at Green Bay. In his first season, Darner led the Phoenix to the 2016 NCAA Tournament.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry was named the Horizon League Freshman of the Week on Feb. 4. Quisenberry led the Penguins to a 2-0 record last week with a pair of road wins at Oakland on Jan. 31 and Detroit Mercy on Feb. 2. He averaged 18.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game.
• Youngstown State has won its last three games by a total of four points combined. The Penguins also trailed at halftime in each those games. Dating back to the 2015-16 season, Youngstown State is 5-1 in its last six games decided by one point.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington has two career game-winning, buzzer-beating shots. He hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to beat Milwaukee, 72-71, on Feb. 7, and his putback as time expired gave YSU a 75-73 win over Oakland on Feb. 14, 2018.
• YSU's 25-point win over Milwaukee on Jan. 5 was the largest margin of victory in a true road game in YSU's Division I era (1981-82). It's also the largest margin of victory in a true road game since 1979 (39) at Ashland. The 14 points allowed by the Penguins in the first half against the Panthers are the fewest since they gave up 14 to Georgia on Nov. 12, 2012. The Division I school record for fewest points allowed in a first half is 11 against Southern Utah on Feb. 5, 1998.
• This is the 46th meeting between Youngstown State and Green Bay in a series that dates back to 1993. The Phoenix own a 34-11 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two games. Earlier this season, the Phoenix defeated YSU, 99-93, in overtime. The Penguins won the last meeting at the Beeghly Center, 85-74, in 2018.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry has been superb in Horizon League play. Quisenberry is averaging 14.5 points, 4.1 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.9 steals per game. He has scored in double figures in nine of 12 games and owns an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.5. He's also scored at least 20 points in four Horizon League games.
• Youngstown State plays the third of four straight Horizon League home games when it hosts IUPUI, Thursday, Feb. 14.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
About Green Bay
• Green Bay enters the game with an overall record of 12-12 and a 6-5 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Phoenix have won their last two games and are 3-10 in road games.
• Leading Green Bay is Sandy Cohen III with 16.7 points per game and JayQuan McCloud with 14.1 points per contest.
Last Time Against Green Bay
• In the first meeting this season, the Penguins defeated suffered a tough 99-93 overtime loss to the Phoenix on Jan. 3.
•Freshman Darius Quisenberry led the Penguins with 24 points on 6-of-9 shooting from the field, including a pair of 3-pointers, and went 10-for-10 from the free-throw line.
• Freshman Jelani Simmons made a career-high five 3-pointers and finished with 17 points on 6-of-7 shooting from the floor.
The Green Bay Series
• This is the 46th meeting between Youngstown State and Green Bay in a series that dates back to 1993.
• The Phoenix own a 34-11 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two games.
• Earlier this season, the Phoenix defeated YSU, 99-93, in overtime.
• The Penguins won the last meeting at the Beeghly Center, 85-74, in 2018.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 12th win over Green Bay.
• Mark YSU's first four-game winning streak since 2015-16 and the first four-game Horizon League winning streak since 2012-13.
• Give YSU its second straight win over Green Bay at the Beeghly Center.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 142nd career win and his 18th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,094th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 10-16 overall record and a 6-7 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark YSU's fourth home win of the season.
Devin From Downtown
• Junior Devin Morgan has been finding his shooting stroke from beyond the arc recently. • Over the last four games, Morgan has made 15 3-pointers for an average of 3.8 3s made per game.
• He also averaged 14.3 points per game during that span.