Jan 02, 2019
|Youngstown State at Green Bay|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 3 | 8 p.m.|
|Location||Resch Center | Green Bay, Wis.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Green Bay Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State begins a four-game road swing when they visit Green Bay, Thursday, Jan. 3, at 8 p.m.
• The Penguins visit Milwaukee, Saturday, Jan. 5. Tipoff is slated for 5 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 136-73 overall and is 12-35 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Linc Darner is in his fourth season as head coach at Green Bay and in his 17th overall as a head coach. He carries a 353-171 career record and owns a 61-54 mark at Green Bay. In his first season, Darner led the Phoenix to the 2016 NCAA Tournament.
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. He is averaging 9.2 rebounds per game and ranks third nationally with 4.08 offensive rebounds per game.
• This is the 45th meeting between Youngstown State and Green Bay in a series that dates back to 1993. The Phoenix own 33-11 advantage in the all-time series, but the Penguins have won two of the last three. Green Bay won the last meeting, 85-67, on Jan. 27, 2018, at the Resch Center.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• Over the last five games, freshman Darius Quisenberry averaged 15 points and 3.2 assists per game over. He also shot 46.4 percent from the floor in those contests. He tied a career-high with 21 points against Oakland on Dec. 30.
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers made against Robert Morris on Nov. 28. He also led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points with seven 3s in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. His seven 3-pointers are tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016. Hampton is just the sixth player in school history to record multiple games of at least seven 3-pointers made.
• The Penguins have made at least 10 3-pointers five times this season and have made at least eight 3s in a game on 13 occasions.
• In Youngstown State's 15 games, the Penguins have had six different leading scorers. Sophomore Garrett Covington has led the Penguins four times, while juniors Kendale Hampton and Donel Cathcart III and freshman Darius Quisenberry have led the Penguins three times. Junior Devin Morgan and freshman Olamide Pedersen have led in scoring once.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington and junior Devin Morgan scored 26 and 25 points, respectively, against Central Michigan. It marked the second time his season a pair of YSU players scored at least 20 points in the same game. Junior Donel Cathcart III and freshman Darius Quisenberry each scored career highs with 27 and 21 points, respectively, against FIU on Nov. 18. It marked the first time two player reached at least 20 points in the same game since Feb. 24, 2018.
• Youngstown State continues its four-game road trip when at Milwaukee, Saturday, Jan. 5. Tipoff is set for 5 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
About Green Bay
• Green Bay enters the game with a 7-7 overall record and a 1-0 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Phoenix is coming off a 92-82 win over Milwaukee on Dec. 29.
• Sandy Cohen III leads the Phoenix with 16.6 points per game while JayQuan McCloud is averaging 13.2 points per contest.
The Green Bay Series
• This is the 45th meeting between Youngstown State and Green Bay in a series that dates back to 1993.
• The Phoenix own a 33-11 advantage in the all-time series, but the Penguins have won two of the last three contests.
• Last season, the Penguins and Phoenix split the season series each winning of their own home court.
• Prior to a 92-89 win at the Resch Center in 2017, Youngstown State's lone win in Green Bay was in 2003.