Posted: Nov 11, 2018
|Youngstown State vs. Heidelberg|
|Date & Time||Monday, Nov. 12 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team hosts Heidelberg, Monday, Nov 12, in the 2018-19 home opener at the Beeghly Center. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. and will be the first meeting between the two schools.
• The Penguins head to the Big Apple for the Johnny Bach Classic, Nov. 16-18, hosted by Fordham in the Bronx, N.Y. YSU faces Columbia, Friday, at 8:30 p.m., Fordham, Saturday at 3:30 p.m. and FIU, Sunday, at Noon.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 132-64 overall and 8-26 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Andy Bucheit enters his sixth season at the helm of the Student Princes. He owns a career record of 54-75 and a 33-57 in Ohio Athletic Conference play. Prior to Heidelberg, Bucheit served as an assistant coach at Marietta from 2008-13, Ashland from 2006-08 and Wittenberg from 2005-06.
Storylines and Notes
• Freshman Olamide Pedersen recorded the first double-double of his career with a career-high 18 points and a career-best 10 rebounds. Pedersen connected on 6-of-8 from the field and 5-of-7 from the free-throw line.
• This is the first meeting between Youngstown State and Heidelberg.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry posted a career-high 10 points against Akron on Nov. 10. He was 4-of-6 from the floor and made a pair of 3-pointers and dished out three assists.
• Youngstown State returns five letterwinners and two starters from last year's team. Returning starters include sophomores Naz Bohannon and Garrett Covington. The Penguins also have just one senior, Noe Anabir, on the roster.
• The Penguins head to the Big Apple for the Johnny Bach Classic, Nov. 16-18, hosted by Fordham in the Bronx, N.Y.
• YSU faces Columbia, Friday, at 8:30 p.m., Fordham, Saturday at 3:30 p.m. and FIU, Sunday, at Noon.
Bohannon Named Preseason All-Horizon League Second-Team
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon was named to the 2018 Preseason All-Horizon League Team after a vote of the league's head coaches, athletics communications directors and media.
• Bohannon was named to the Horizon League All-Freshman Team in 2017-18 after averaging 7.2 points and 8.1 rebounds per game, which ranked sixth in the Horizon League.
• He scored 230 points and grabbed 259 rebounds, the most by a YSU player since 1991-92.
• Bohannon had at least 10 rebounds seven times and posted four double-doubles.
• Bohannon also scored in double figures eight times and posted a career-high 16 points against Cleveland State on March 2.
The Heidelberg Series
• This is first meeting between Youngstown State and Heidelberg.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its first win over Heidelberg.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 133rd career win and his ninth at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,085th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 1-2 overall record.
• Mark YSU's first home win of the season.
Pedersen Notches Double-Double
• Freshman Olamide Pedersen recorded the first double-double of his career in just his second career game with a career-high 18 points and a career-high 10 rebounds against Akron on Nov. 10.
• The last freshman to reach a double-double faster than Pedersen was Bobby Hain, who debuted with 19 points and 11 rebounds, in 2012-13.
• Pedersen connected on 6-of-8 from the floor and 5-of-7 from the free-throw line.
Quisenberry Hits for Career High
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry notched a career-scoring high with 10 points against Akron on Nov. 10.
• Quisenberry made 4-of-6 from the field, including two 3-pointers.