Jan 11, 2019
|Youngstown State at IUPUI|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 12 | 1 p.m.|
|Location||Indiana Farmers Coliseum |Indianapolis, Ind.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | IUPUI Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State closes out its four-game road trip against IUPUI, Saturday, Jan. 12, at 1 p.m. and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN.
• The Penguins return home for a pair of games at the Beeghly Center starting with a matchup against Wright State, Thursday, Jan. 17. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 137-75 overall and is 13-37 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Jason Gardner enters his fifth season on the Jaguars' sidelines, boasting a 57-84 career record. He's 31-38 (.449) in league games and guided the Jags to The Summit League Tournament Semifinals in his third season in
• Youngstown State's 25-point win over Milwaukee on Jan. 5 was the largest margin of victory in a true road game in YSU's Division I era (1981-82). It's also the largest margin of victory in a true road game since 1979 (39) at Ashland. The 14 points allowed by the Penguins in the first half against the Panthers are the fewest since they gave up 14 to Georgia on Nov. 12, 2012.
• This is the 12th meeting between Youngstown State and IUPUI in a series that dates back to 1975. The Penguins own a 10-1 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last four matchups. Last season, YSU defeated the Jaguars, 85-62, at the Beeghly Center on Jan. 20 and 84-80 on Feb. 10 at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry has been superb in Horizon League play. Quisenberry is averaging 15.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 2.0 steals per game. He has scored in double figures in four of five games and owns an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.8.
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. He is averaging 9.2 rebounds per game and ranks second nationally with 4.2 offensive rebounds per game.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers made against Robert Morris on Nov. 28. He also led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points with seven 3s in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. His seven 3-pointers are tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016. Hampton is just the sixth player in school history to record multiple games of at least seven 3-pointers made.
• The Penguins have made at least 10 3-pointers seven times this season and have made at least eight 3s in a game on 16 occasions.
• In Youngstown State's 18 games, the Penguins have had seven different leading scorers. Sophomore Garrett Covington has led YSU five times and freshman Darius Quisenberry has led the Penguins four times. Juniors Kendale Hampton and Donel Cathcart III have led the Penguins three times. Junior Devin Morgan and freshmen Olamide Pedersen and Jelani Simmons have led in scoring once.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington and junior Devin Morgan scored 26 and 25 points, respectively, against Central Michigan. It marked the second time his season a pair of YSU players scored at least 20 points in the same game. Junior Donel Cathcart III and freshman Darius Quisenberry each scored career highs with 27 and 21 points, respectively, against FIU on Nov. 18. It marked the first time two player reached at least 20 points in the same game since Feb. 24, 2018.
• Youngstown State returns home for the first time in 2019 when it hosts Wright State, Thursday, Jan. 17.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET at the Beeghly Center and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
• IUPUI enters the game with a 10-7 overall record and a 2-2 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Jaguars have won their last two games - victories over UIC, 66-64, and Cleveland State, 90-74.
• Cameron Justice leads the Jaguars with 20.3 points per game while Jaylen Minnett is averaging 10.8 points per game.