Posted: Feb 13, 2019
|Youngstown State vs. Green Bay|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Feb. 14 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | IUPUI Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State welcomes IUPUI, Thursday, Feb. 14, at 7 p.m. and closes out its four-game homestand against UIC, Saturday, Feb. 16, at 6 p.m.
The Penguins play their final two road games of the regular season next week at Northern Kentucky, Feb. 21, at 7 p.m. and at Wright State, Feb. 23, at 3 p.m.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 142-78 overall and is 18-40 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Jason Gardner is in his fifth season on the Jaguars' sidelines, boasting a 61-88 career record. He's 35-42 (.455) in league games and guided the Jags to The Summit
League Tournament Semifinals in his third season in 2016-17.
• For the second straight week, freshman Darius Quisenberry was named the Horizon League Freshman of the Week on Feb. 11. Quisenberry led the Penguins to a 2-0 record last week with a pair of home win against Milwaukee on Feb. 7 and Green Bay on Feb. 9. He averaged 16 points and 5 assists per game last week. Quisenberry tied a career-high 24 points and dished out seven assists against the Phoenix.
• This is the 13th meeting between Youngstown State and IUPUI in a series that dates back to 1975. The Penguins own an 11-1 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last five contests. Earlier this season, YSU defeated the Jaguars, 82-76, in Indianapolis. The Penguins defeated the Jaguars, 85-62, at the Beeghly Center last season.
• Youngstown State's current four-game winning streak is tied for the program's longest wining streak since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02. The last time YSU won four straight games was in 2015-16 (non-league), and the last time the Penguins won four consecutive league games was in 2012-13. The last time Youngstown State won five games in a row was in 1998-99.
• Youngstown State closes out its four-game Horizon League homestand when it hosts UIC, Saturday, Feb. 16.
• Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
• IUPUI enters the game with a 14-11 record and a 6-6 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Jaguars, who are 3-7 in road games, have lost their last two contests after winning three straight rom Jan. 24-Feb. 1.
• Leading the Jaguars is junior Camron Justice with 19.4 points per game while Jaylen Minnett averages 11.6 points per contest.
Last Time Against IUPUI
• In the first meeting this season, the Penguins defeated the Jaguars, 82-76, in Indianapolis, Ind.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry led the Penguins with 22 points while Garrett Covington had 15 points and Michael Akuchie added 11 points.
• YSU led by as many as 13 points and owned a 12-point lead with just over two minutes left.
• The Jaguars, though, scored nine straight points - aided by three YSU turnovers, to get within 79-76, with 18 seconds left.
• Noe Anabir split a pair of free throws and Quisenberry made two charity tosses to seal the win.
The IUPUI Series
• This is the 13th meeting between Youngstown State and IUPUI in a series that dates back to 1975.
• The Penguins own an 11-1 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last five contests.
• Earlier this season, YSU defeated the Jaguars, 82-76, in Indianapolis.
• The Penguins defeated the Jaguars, 85-62, at the Beeghly Center last season.
Last time Out
• Youngstown State used a season-best shooting performance to defeat Green Bay, 96-77, at the Beeghly Center on Feb. 9.
• The win marked the fourth-straight victory for the Penguins, who shot 56.1 percent from the floor.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry tied a career-high with 24 points and sophomore Garrett Covinton had 18 points.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 12th win over IUPUI.
• Mark YSU's first five-game winning streak since 1998-99.
• Give YSU its sixth straight win over IUPUI and the third straight at the Beeghly Center.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 143rd career win and his 19th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,095th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 11-16 overall record and a 7-7 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark YSU's fifth home win of the season.