Posted: Jan 18, 2019
|Youngstown State vs. Northern Kentucky|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 19 | 1 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | NKU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State closes out its short two-game homestand when it hosts Northern Kentucky, Saturday, Jan. 19, at 1 p.m.
The Penguins return to the road for three straight Horizon League away contests beginning with a matchup against Cleveland State, Saturday, Jan. 26, at 7 p.m.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 138-76 overall and is 14-38 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• John Brannen is in his fourth season on Northern Kentucky's sidelines, boasting a 70-45 record with the Norse. Brannen, who was 1-1 as interim head coach at Alabama, was named the 2017 Horizon League Coach of the Year and led the Norse to the 2017 NCAA Tournament.
• Youngstown State's 25-point win over Milwaukee on Jan. 5 was the largest margin of victory in a true road game in YSU's Division I era (1981-82). It's also the largest margin of victory in a true road game since 1979 (39) at Ashland. The 14 points allowed by the Penguins in the first half against the Panthers are the fewest since they gave up 14 to Georgia on Nov. 12, 2012. The Division I school record for fewest points allowed in a first half is 11 against Southern Utah on Feb. 5, 1998.
• This is the 18th meeting between Youngstown State and Northern Kentucky in a series that dates back to 1976. The Penguins own a 10-7 advantage in the all-time series, but NKU has won the last three games. NKU defeated YSU 95-85 last season at the Beeghly Center. The last time the Penguins defeated the Norse was an 81-77 victory at the Beeghly Center on Feb. 28, 2017.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry has been superb in Horizon League play. Quisenberry is averaging 16.7 points, 4.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.7 steals per game. He has scored in double figures in six of seven games and owns an assist-to-turnover ratio of 3.0. He's also scored at least 20 points in three Horizon League games.
• Senior Noe Anabir turned in the best offensive performance of his career against Wright State on Jan. 17. Anabir scored a career-high 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the field with three blocks.
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. He is averaging 9.0 rebounds per game and ranks third nationally with 4.1 offensive rebounds per game.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers made against Robert Morris on Nov. 28. He also led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points with seven 3s in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. His seven 3-pointers are tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016. Hampton is just the sixth player in school history to record multiple games of at least seven 3-pointers made.
• The Penguins have made at least 10 3-pointers 10 times this season , including the last five games, and have made at least eight 3s in a game on 18 occasions. Over the last five games, YSU has made an average of 11.6 3-pointers per game and shot 45.7 percent from 3-point range.
• In Youngstown State's 20 games, the Penguins have had seven different leading scorers. Freshman Darius Quisenberry has led YSU six times while sophomore Garrett Covington has led YSU five times. Juniors Kendale Hampton and Donel Cathcart III have led the Penguins three times. Junior Devin Morgan and freshmen Olamide Pedersen and Jelani Simmons have led in scoring once.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington and junior Devin Morgan scored 26 and 25 points, respectively, against Central Michigan. It marked the second time his season a pair of YSU players scored at least 20 points in the same game. Junior Donel Cathcart III and freshman Darius Quisenberry each scored career highs with 27 and 21 points, respectively, against FIU on Nov. 18. It marked the first time two player reached at least 20 points in the same game since Feb. 24, 2018.
• Youngstown State play three straight Horizon League road games marking seven of the first 11 league games on the road starting with a matchup against Cleveland State on Saturday, Jan 26.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET at the Wolstein Center and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
About Northern Kentucky
•Northern Kentucky enters the game with an overll record of 15-4 and has won seven of the last eight games.
• The Norse is tied for the Horizon League lead with a 5-1 record and have won three straight league contests.
• Leading the Norse is preseason player of the year Drew McDonald with 18.8 points and 10.4 rebounds per game.
• Tyler Sharpe, Jalen Tate and Dantez Walton are all averaging in double figures with14.4, 13.5 and 11.0 points per game, respectively.
The Northern Kentucky Series
• This is the 18th meeting between Youngstown State and Northern Kentucky in a series that dates back to 1976.
• The Penguins own a 10-7 advantage in the all-time series, but NKU has won the last three games.
• NKU defeated YSU 95-85 last season at the Beeghly Center.
• The last time the Penguins defeated the Norse was an 81-77 victory at the Beeghly Center on Feb. 28, 2017.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 11th win over Northern Kentucky.
• Snap a three-game losing streak to the Norse.
• Mark YSU's first win over the Norse at the Beeghly Center since 2017.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 139th career win and his 15th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,091st victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 7-14 overall record and a 3-5 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark YSU's third home win of the season.