Feb 20, 2019
|Youngstown State at Northern Kentucky|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Feb. 21 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||BB&T Arena | Highland Heights, Ky.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | NKU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State plays its final two road games of the regular season at Northern Kentucky, Feb. 21, at 7 p.m. and at Wright State, Feb. 23, at 3 p.m. Both games will be broadcast on 570 WKBN while the NKU game is on ESPN+ and the Wright State contest is on ESPN3.
The Penguins close out the regular season and will celebrate Senior Night against Cleveland State, Saturday, March 2. Tipoff is slated for 6 p.m. at the Beeghly Center. The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 144-78 overall and is 20-40 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• John Brannen is in his fourth season on Northern Kentucky's sidelines, boasting a 75-48 record with the Norse. Brannen, who was 1-1 as interim head coach at Alabama, was named the 2017 Horizon League Coach of the Year and led the Norse to
the 2017 NCAA Tournament.
• For the third straight week, freshman Darius Quisenberry was named the Horizon League Freshman of the Week on Feb. 18. Quisenberry averaged 27 points, two rebounds, six assists and 2.5 steals per game while shooting 45.5 percent from the floor, 42.9 percent from 3-point range and 85.7 percent from the free-throw line. He also averaged three made 3-pointers per game. Quisenberry scored a career-high 37 points on 10-of-19 shooting from the floor, including three 3s, and 14-of-16 from the free-throw line in the win over UIC.
• Youngstown State's current six-game winning streak is the program's longest wining streak since joining the Horizon League in 2001-02 and the longest since 1997-98. The last time Youngstown State won six games in a row was in 1997-98 when it won seven straight. That year, the Penguins had a seven-game winning streak from Jan. 14 to Feb. 7, and an earlier six-game streak from Dec. 6 to Dec. 26. The Penguins finished with a record of 20-9, their last 20-win season.
• Youngstown State plays its final regular-season road game when it visits Wright State, Saturday, Feb. 23.
• Tipoff is set for 3 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
About Northern Kentucky
• Northern Kentucky enters the game with an overall record of 20-7 and a 10-4 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Norse are led by Drew McDonald with 19.2 points and 9.9 rebounds per game.
• Tyler Sharpe (14.3 ppg), Jalen Tate (13.0 ppg) and Dantez Walton (11.4 ppg) are also averaging in double figures for the Norse.
Last Time Against NKU
• In the first meeting this season, Northern Kentucky used a 19-6 run over a six-minute span to come away with an 82-74 win over the Youngstown State men's basketball on Jan. 19 at the Beeghly Center.
• Junior Donel Cathcart II led the Penguins with 16 points while Antwan Maxwell, Jr., scored 13 points and Garrett Covington and Darius Quisenberry added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
The NKU Series
• This is the 19th meeting between Youngstown State and Northern Kentucky in a series that dates back to 1976.
• The Penguins own a 10-8 advantage in the all-time series, but NKU has won the last four games.
• The Norse won the first meeting this season, 82-74, at the Beeghly Center.
• The last time the Penguins defeated the Norse was an 81-77 victory at the Beeghly Center on Feb. 28, 2017.
Last time Out
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry scored a career-high 37 points to lead the Penguins to their sixth straight victory in an 81-73 win over UIC on Feb. 16.
• Quisenberry went 10-of-19 from the field, including three 3s, and made 14-of-16 from the free-throw line.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 11th win over Northern Kentucky.
• Mark YSU's first seven-game winning streak since 1997-98.
• Snap a four-game losing streak to the Norse.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 145th career win and his 21st at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,097th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 13-16 overall record and a 9-7 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark YSU's second-most Horizon League wins in a season with nine.
• Mark YSU's sixth road win of the season.
• Mark YSU's fifth Horizon League road victory of the season.
Quisenberry Set D-I Frosh Scoring Mark
• After scoring a career-high 37 points against UIC, freshman Darius Quisenberry set Youngstown State Division I freshman scoring record.
• Quisenberry has 388 points this season and broke the old mark of 358 set by Tim Jackson in 1987-88.
• He also ranks tied for sixth all-time with Bruce Alexander (1978-79) for most points by a YSU freshman.
YSU Freshman Scoring Leaders
1. Dave Zeigler (623, 1978-79)
2. Jeff Covington (543, 1974-75)
3. Mickey Yugovich (507, 1956-57)
4. Anthony Mitchell (453, 1973-74)
5. Herb Lake (430, 1955-56)
6. Darius Quisenberry (388, 2018-19)
7. Bruce Alexander (388, 1978-79)
YSU Freshmen Scoring 30+
• Darius Quisenberry's 37 points against UIC on Feb. 16 are the most by a freshman in YSU's Division I era.
• The last freshman to score at least 30 points in a game was Tim Jackson with 32 against Morehead State on Feb. 29, 1988.
• Jackson is the last freshman to post back-to-back 30 point games and had 31 against Eastern Kentucky on Feb. 27, 1988.
• Quisenberry is just the second freshman to score at least 30 points in YSU's Division I era (since 1981-82).
Penguins Set School 3-Point Record
• With nine 3-pointers against UIC, the Penguins set the school record for most 3-pointers made in a season with 271.
• The old school mark of 270 was set in 2011-12.
• Last season, the Penguins made 235 baskets from beyond the arc.
• Youngstown State has made at least 200 3s in a season for nine straight years.
• The Penguins also rank 14th nationally with 271 made 3-pointers.
Akuchie In Doubles = Success
• Sophomore Michael Akuchie scored a season-high 14 points on 6-of-7 shooting against IUPUI on Feb. 14.
• It marked the fourth time this season, Akuchie has reached double figures.
• The Penguins own a record of 3-1 this season when he scores at least 10 points.