Dec 29, 2018
|Youngstown State vs. Oakland|
|Date & Time||Sunday, Dec. 30 | 2 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Oakland Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State closes out the homestand against Oakland, Sunday, Dec. 30, at 2 p.m.
• The Penguins begin a four-game road swing when they visit Green Bay, Thursday, Jan. 3, at 8 p.m.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 136-72 overall and is 12-34 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Greg Kampe is in his 35th season at Oakland and is the third-longest tenured coach at one school in Division I. Kampe has led the Golden Grizzlies to three NCAA
tournaments (2005, 2010, 2011) and coached four NBA players over the last 13 years. He owns a career record of 607-447.
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. He is averaging 9.2 rebounds per game and ranks third nationally with 4.08 offensive rebounds per game.
• This is the 22nd meeting between Youngstown State and Oakland in a series that dates back to 1999. Oakland owns a 14-7 advantage in the all-time series, but Youngstown State has won two of the last three games. YSU won the last meeting, 75-73, on a buzzer-beating putback by Garrett Covington on Feb. 14, 2018.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry averaged 13.5 points and 3.3 assists per game over the last four games. He also shot 42.9 percent from the floor in those contests.
• Youngstown State begins a four-game road trip when it visits Green Bay, Thursday, Jan. 3. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
• Oakland enters the game with a 5-9 overall record and a 1-0 mark in Horizon League play.
• The Golden Grizzlies defeated Cleveland State, 89-77, on Dec. 28.
• Xavier Hill-Mais leads the Golden Grizzlies with 22.2 points per game while Jaevin Cumberland is averaging 16.8 points per game and shooting 44.8 percent from 3-point range.
The Oakland Series
• This is the 22nd meeting between Youngstown State and Oakland in a series that dates back to 1999.
• Oakland owns a 14-7 advantage in the all-time series, but the Penguins have won two of the last three games.
• YSU won the last meeting, 75-73, on a buzzer-beating putback by Garrett Covington at the Beeghly Center.
• YSU's last three wins over Oakland have been last-second victories.
• Five of YSU seven wins over Oakland have been at the Beeghly Center.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its eighth win over Oakland.
• Mark YSU's second straight win over Oakland.
• Mark YSU's third win in the last four games against the Golden Grizzlies.
• Mark YSU's sixth win over Oakland at the Beeghly Center.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 137th career win and his 13th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,089th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 5-10 overall record and a 1-1 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark YSU's third home win of the season.
Covington on a Hot Streak
• Over the last six games, sophomore Garrett Covington has played some good basketball.
• Over that span, he averaged 14.8 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.
• He posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• He also scored 20 points against West Virginia on Dec. 1.