Jan 30, 2019
|Youngstown State at Oakland|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 31 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Athletics O'Rena | Rochester, Mich.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Oakland Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State head to the Motor City for a pair of games starting with a game against Oakland, Thursday, Jan. 31, at 7 p.m. in Rochester, Mich. The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
The Penguins close out its three-game road swing at Detroit Mercy. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. at Calihan Hall in Detroit, Mich.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 138-78 overall and is 14-40 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Greg Kampe is in his 35th season at Oakland and is the third-longest tenured coach at one school in Division I. Kampe has led the Golden Grizzlies to three NCAA tournaments (2005, 2010, 2011) and coached four NBA players over the last 13 years. He owns a career record of 612-450.
• Youngstown State's 25-point win over Milwaukee on Jan. 5 was the largest margin of victory in a true road game in YSU's Division I era (1981-82). It's also the largest margin of victory in a true road game since 1979 (39) at Ashland. The 14 points allowed by the Penguins in the first half against the Panthers are the fewest since they gave up 14 to Georgia on Nov. 12, 2012. The Division I school record for fewest points allowed in a first half is 11 against Southern Utah on Feb. 5, 1998.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry has been superb in Horizon League play. Quisenberry is averaging 14.3points, 4.0 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.8 steals per game. He has scored in double figures in seven of nine games and owns an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.2. He's also scored at least 20 points in three Horizon League games.
• Senior Noe Anabir turned in the best offensive performance of his career against Wright State on Jan. 17. Anabir scored a career-high 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the field with three blocks.
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. He is averaging 9.0 rebounds per game and ranks fifth nationally with 4.1 offensive rebounds per game.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers made against Robert Morris on Nov. 28. He also led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points with seven 3s in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. His seven 3-pointers are tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016. Hampton is just the sixth player in school history to record multiple games of at least seven 3-pointers made.
• The Penguins have made at least 10 3-pointers 10 times this season and have made at least eight 3s in a game on 20 occasions.
• Youngstown State stays in the State of Michigan when it visits Detroit Mercy, Saturday, Feb. 2, at Calihan Hall.
• Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
• Oakland enters the game with a 10-12 overall record and is tied for second with a 6-3 Horizon League mark.
• Xavier Hill-Mais leads the Golden Grizzlies with 20.5 points per game while Jaevin Cumberland averages 17.4 points per contest.
The Oakland Series
• This is the 23rd meeting between Youngstown State and Oakland in a series that dates back to 1999.
• Oakland owns a 15-7 advantage in the all-time series and has won 10 of the last 14 games against the Penguins.
• Oakland won the first meeting this season, 76-74, on Dec. 30, at the Beeghly Center.
• YSU won the previous meeting, 75-73, on a buzzer-beating putback by Garrett Covington on Feb. 14, 2018.
• The last time YSU won in Rochester was a 100-98 win on Jan. 4, 2016. • The last time these teams met at the O'Rena, Oakland won, 95-82, on Jan. 10, 2018.